CL 10 Yr old light fixture wont light, need component ID please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Looks like a neon lamp starter. Wall plug looks like a transformer (could be a ballast) fuse is inside...not really fixable if it's blown.

Did you have 122V AC OUT of the wall plug...i.e. at the ends of the lamp?

If this is what i think it is:
Power thru the ballast goes to one pin @ each end of lamp (you would measure ~120VAC between these). The starter is connected to the other 2 pins.
To start, the starter momentarily shorts it's 2 pins together. Remember those old lamps with a START button?...they had a ballast but no starter, the start switch did the job.

See:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question337.htm

So...it would be a fun exercise to fix this...you COULD go get a suitable lamp starter can, gut the starter out of the can & wire it in.

The quickest thing is probably to replace the guts if you can easily/cheaply find some to fit.
However, I've been very disappointed with the lifespan of most of the Lights of America (and other) cheapo flourescents I have purchased. All my Lampi brand ones work great.

Last edited:

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
My eclipse 2 hood has those same things, and the ballast is on plug. I've been starting to have some issues with it, lights flickering, and not fully illuminated, very dim. I'm switching to CFLs... that's the plan for today if I ever get off my chair.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have been using those lights of America since 1998 on my sulcata tortoise enclosure. they have been stepped on, tossed and gotten crapped on but they still work. If they end up going bad now $7 for what I paid for them then and 12 years later is not too bad. Now if your talking salt water that's a whole different story.

Ill be picking up two of them today and will be cutting on the housing to accommodate the switch box winch will slightly protrude from the side. But the Plexiglas covers should still fit to protect the fixture from excessive moisture. I also plan to mirror finish the inside with aluminum tape to increase reflection before installing except for the spot where the Gorilla glue will be applied to hold the fixture in place.

Ill post it later today.

cap1384

AC Members
Nov 19, 2007
Hemet
it honestly looks like someone used a christmas light as a fuse.. Kinda funny if you think about it like that. With it being black like that i would also assume it was burnt oiut or blown. but since you said you tried to jump the wires and it didn't work i think you should turn this into a personal goal to figure out what is wrong with it at all cost and break out the multi meter. trace everything wire for wire. set it to ohms first. well thats what i would do. that would really get under my skin matter of fact it kinda already is if you get bored with it send it my way i will take a crack at it and return it lol

GOOD LUCK,
CAP

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store