cloche terrarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Thats brilliant, how did you paint the outside or did you?

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
it's been roughly 6 months since I started this project, and I haven't posted any updates. Slow growth is a beautiful thing really, as it's hard for me to wait for results, often times disturbing progress by trying to rush nature. I feel like I've been able to control myself this time around, and the garden is really starting to come together. In some ways, I wish I had a less leafy center piece, it's starting to be almost too bushy, but the ground cover has really started to take off. Over the months I've added a few new plants and two or three HC trimmings as well. Everything is showing good signs, with very little effort. I basically pour water through the moss twice a month to keep the waterline around 1". sometimes I use fresh water, sometimes it's a cup of tank waste water.

What prompted me to post the update though, was that yesterday I did my 6 month flush. I hadn't planned it, but knew that I would eventually do this. I basically treated it like a circulatory flush, I added water through the moss, while siphoning water out, flushing a lot of debris and silt out from under the stump. It was pretty filthy by tank standards, but didn't smell bad.

The surprise though, was finding a fry of some sort swimming in the moat! It's a bit longer than 1/4" and looks a bit like a lampeye fry, but without lamps... could be that it's too young, could be that it's not a lampeye... if it's from my waterchange water, it's likely to be a lampeye, a clown killie, a cherry barb, or a microrasbora kubotai... but it's impossible to tell yet. It could also, although it's not likely, be some sort of seasonal killie that came as an egg on some fiber or moss or something. We'll see what it grows into. I've never added food of any kind and have really let it just do it's thing, so this is such a surprise.

Unfortunately, these crappy iphone photos don't show the fry, but enjoy the growth!

IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1016.JPG

Last edited:

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Since I know nothing about terrariums, what are the clay-looking balls that you put in there in the beginning, and what was the black sand-looking stuff?

Also, where did you get the 'tank' or cover for the terrarium?

That looks really cool!
I wish I had more spare time/space/money to do that haha.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Thanks for the update mellow. It looks great and now we have a picture of your secret laboratory where the terrarium magic happens.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Speaking of Ninjas, I think I am going to ninja my way into your house and take this tank. This is a very hard decision(all your tanks are amazing), but I think this may be my favorite tank of yours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store