cloche terrarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
wow, thanks everyone!

Smith & HAwken doesn't take online orders anymore and their store is messed up, but this page shows what I have at the top... http://outdoor-furniture.smithandhawken.com/garden/glass cloche

the substrate is a 3 part layering... the bottom layer of clay balls is hydroton. It's like filter media in a way, and is used for drainage. it floats, so you can't use it in every case.

the next layer is screen, then a layer of activated carbon. this is above the waterline by at least 1/4".

then, the last layer is a mix of coco fiber mixed with activated carbon and flourite black. I then capped a large portion of it with button moss.

Fresh water is always introduced through the moss cap, which flushes the island out a bit and keeps the top layer mix well saturated but not stagnating in water. the waterline keeps the cork and hydroton damp and the humidity around 80%. I used little plastic clips to keep the cloche cover raised to just the edge of the bowl, this way, there is always fresh air, and no mold persists. Typically with a cloche, there is no water in the base, and the glass could just rest on the floor of the base, but with water this forms an air tight, and somewhat dangerous seal.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
A job well done Mellow!

I love the layout, and with the water in the dish it has that "island" effect.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
a quick update on an experiement... shortly after my last post I removed the fry and placed it in my fry tank, but it had my mind going about the environment, and it's apparent ability to support life. I decided to see how it did with shrimp. I added 3 of the mysterious blueish shrimp that I have.

Today, after no added food or waterchanges, the shrimp appear to be doing fine. In an inch of water. It's been almost 2 weeks. Pretty cool.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
it's been just over a year now...

it's been just over a year now, and the cloche is still rocking. It's starting to get a bit moss heavy and tall, but just after taking these pics, I harvested a bunch of moss to start 2 jar terrariums. Anyway, enjoy!

also for my own future reference, I wanted to include the names of three of the plants I've added this year Davallia parvula, Pyrrosia piloselloides, Asplenium sp (possibly cuspidatum)

IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG _MG_3195.JPG _MG_3197.JPG _MG_3198.JPG _MG_3200.JPG _MG_3201.JPG

Last edited:

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
That moss looks ridiculously lush. Everything's really doing well for you in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store