CO2 Injection

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Thanks happy chem, Being a circulation and oxygenation fanatic these concepts are hard to accept. I recently put sponges over the outputs of my HOB's to stop all surface movement. I don't know if I will get used to it or not right now it is driving me batty every time I look at my tanks. I have noticed a difference in co2 levels already without actually adding any, and my plants are all doing well. I guess sooner or later high tech is going to get me. but I'm avaioding it as long as possible.

glass-gardens

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2004
Ames, Iowa
www.glass-gardens.com
I ran two fermentation generators for the longest time on a 75 with only about a .2 pH fluctuation overnight simply by turning up the filter, however, I could never get the CO2 level above 15PPM in that tank simply because the DIY generators just didn't put out enough. But I still had great plant growth, any CO2 is better than no CO2 in my opinion.

It's been my experience that unless you want to use a pH controller, trying to stabilize pH levels can many times lead to worse fluctuations than "set it and forget it" so you want to be careful, and if you're using a fermentation generator, it's rather hard to shut off the CO2

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
My point is this, I am not home on a daily basis (usually gone monday through friday about 45 weeks each year) to turn off the co2 or turn up a filter or do anything else, I am satisfied with my plant condition, but would like to increase growth, and eliminate some minor algea issues as well. Before I start with any kind of Co2 addition I am trying to figure out if it can be done properly withut risking my fish and without being there every day to babysit it.

I have read enough to believe that I should be able to add some Co2 and not have to worry about my fish. I realise I can't push the limits or drive my plants really hard, but hinestly I don't have the light for that anyhow. I'm just trying to verify things. If turning off Co2 isn't an option, turning up my filter at night isn't either.
Dave

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
well, you could also plug the solenoid valve into the same timer as the lights so that the co2 is only running when the lights are...or simply run a low CO2 level. I'd just find the bubble rate that puts your CO2 at 20ppm right after lights-on and I'd leave it there. less fluctuation than trying to manually control it with a timer, etc.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Pressurized 24/7. Other than initial bubble rate, I haven't touched mine since I set it up 6 months ago.

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I'd just find the bubble rate that puts your CO2 at 20ppm right after lights-on and I'd leave it there. less fluctuation than trying to manually control it with a timer, etc.
Pressurized 24/7. Other than initial bubble rate, I haven't touched mine since I set it up 6 months ago.
thanks everyone, this is what I was looking for, For starters my plan was to build a couple of generators and just up the levels somewhat, then gradually see how high a bubblerate I need to find a good level. Once things are determined I figured I'd get a bottle set up and go with that. With my light levels, I can really run things without Co2, but as said I just keep wanting a little more so I'll eventually be high tech I imagine.
Dave

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
Make sure you get a good needle valve or it'll be more work than yeast based:p I bought a pressurized system and I've been messing with it every couple days to keep the bubble rate constant. I'l going to eventually shell out another $15 or $20 or so for a decent valve, but until then it's kind of a headache... oh speaking of that, I built the coolest co2 reactor... I'll post about it in DIY

Otocinclus

AC Members
Aug 27, 2004
Northern California
Changing out dihydrogen oxide is 10x the chore of carbon dioxide. I swear we are water caretakers, not fish/plant caretakers.

The people who lost fish from too much CO2 had to have been (mis)using pressurized systems. (or maybe used a whole packet of yeast!) I have found that its almost impossible to inject too much CO2 with DIY when the right amount of yeast is used. I agree with what others have said, a full teaspoon is waaay too much for a 2L setup.

Thanks for posting the Jello recipe Starry, I think I will try that in a few weeks.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well that all depends on the buffering capacity of your water. My brother found out the hard way about his KH and GH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store