Color change due to lighting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sealion

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
My tank: 55 gallons
3 damels
1 yellow tang
1 percula clown
1 fire shrimp
1 skunk shrimp
1 butterfly henoichu
10 turbo snails

My fish are fine when the lights are on. It's when I have them off for 20 minutes at a time they change color. The butteryfly henochu's stripes turn pale, the tang's fins turn pale, and the clown's mouth turns pale. The color is restored when the lights are on for few minutes (20 minutes). Should I be concerned? I'm afraid to leave my lights off.

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
i woudn't worry the colours of the fish are brought out by the colour spectrem in the lights thats all.

Unless you notice any other symptoms of ill health i think your fine

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
What do you mean you have your lights off 20mins at a time????

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
Most fish in the saltwater trade can change color depending on mood.

sealion

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
wastememphis said:
What do you mean you have your lights off 20mins at a time????

my fish tank is right next to my computer and sometimes I want all lights out so I can see things on the screen better.

So they change color because of mood. That's good to hear. My butteryfly fish is the one that takes the biggest hit. It looks as if one of his stripes disappeared. Again, it comes back slowly once the lights are on.

Thanks for the input guys!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Turning suddenly pale can be a sign of stress. It's best to have your lights on timers and not arbitrarily turn them on and off - it's probably freaking the fish out, hence the pale colouration.

sealion

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Blinky said:
Turning suddenly pale can be a sign of stress. It's best to have your lights on timers and not arbitrarily turn them on and off - it's probably freaking the fish out, hence the pale colouration.

I've been keeping my lights on all the times to be safe =) So dont worry

sealion

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
DansMarineTank said:
these fish also need time to rest you are giving them a set lights iut period?

I'm afraid to turn out the lights. I will turn off the lights for a bit then check up on them in about 30 minutes. If their color still remains the same I will keep the lights off for tonight but if not then the lights have to be on. Unless there's a reason they shouldnt be on.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Just like us, fish need to experience a day/night cycle. The easiest thing to do is put the lights on a timer (<$10 at WalMart or Home Depot) so that they come on and turn off at the same time each day. Fish usually lose colour at night, and may be pale for a little while after the lights come on - totally normal. Leaving the lights on 24/7 would be REALLY stressful for them, I don't recommend it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store