Compatibility with Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Well I wouldn't call myself an expert at planted tanks thats forsure but I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. I'm thinking that I'd probably cut back on my fert dosing and co2 until they all got settled in or would you recommend just keeping the same just so that there aren't as many changing variables?
Sorry, dude... have to stay in my lane on that one. I am no planted tank guy... which makes me the last person that can answer that particular question. I know discus well enough to say the adults will do fine in a planted, so long as you know what you are doing planted tank-wise. There are very few people that have raised juvies in planted tank, and I mean few... I would not recommend even going there with juvies.

hopefully, someone can give you a more specific answer regarding your planted tank question... I'd consider posting some of these over on Simply as well as this site... both are excellent resources for info on this.

Good luck!

-Rich

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Juvies can be raised in a planted tank. there are special needs to consider.
if you want optimal growth for your juvenile Discus many find it is much easier to maintain water quality in a BB(bare bottom) tank.
Remember Juvenile Discus benefit with several feedings per day.. this means that there will be more mess in the tank(uneaten food , increased waste from the fish etc.)

this is more easily removed in a BB tank and the food is easier for the young fish to find.

all said..if you choose to raise the juveniles in a planted tank you can do so.
you may not be able to optimize their growth.

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
Juvies can be raised in a planted tank. there are special needs to consider.
if you want optimal growth for your juvenile Discus many find it is much easier to maintain water quality in a BB(bare bottom) tank.
Remember Juvenile Discus benefit with several feedings per day.. this means that there will be more mess in the tank(uneaten food , increased waste from the fish etc.)

this is more easily removed in a BB tank and the food is easier for the young fish to find.

all said..if you choose to raise the juveniles in a planted tank you can do so.
you may not be able to optimize their growth.
Thanks for the information. Like I said I have no problem doing the clean-up each day for the optimum conditions for them and feeding multiple times per day won't be an issue either. I just want to make sure that the fish aren't going to die on me in the first 3 days that I get them home.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I too cannot say enough about Simply Discus.....the best bar none site for Discus specific info...As a matter of fact I just placed a nice order with Kenny.

I have to take a small issue with one specific thing pondering stated. Discus will actually be more comfortable with a small school of tetras (rummy nose, etc, the small varietys) then they will by themselves....but dont overdue it and I have now idea on some of the other species you have.

Planted tanks and Juvies.......not a good idea. If you are going to stick with a planted tank, stick with adults. You water parameters look good, but you need to invest in one more piece of equipment......a TDS meter, which, IMHO is a must have with discus.

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
I too cannot say enough about Simply Discus.....the best bar none site for Discus specific info...As a matter of fact I just placed a nice order with Kenny.
Planted tanks and Juvies.......not a good idea. If you are going to stick with a planted tank, stick with adults. You water parameters look good, but you need to invest in one more piece of equipment......a TDS meter, which, IMHO is a must have with discus.
I actually have been on simplydiscus most of the day(while I was suppose to be paying attention in class) and reading as much I could. Its been very helpful for information. How would the TDS affect discus?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have to chime in here...I love simplydiscus. It was absolutely an invaluable place for information and still is. The people are extremely knowledgeable about DISCUS. They are all about discus. They want them BIG too!! So, you will read alot about BB tanks for juvies and no plants and no other fish etc. I did all that. Hated the BB tank look but did it anyway. Now that my first discus are young adults I have them in a 150 planted with diamond tetras and harlequin rasboras. They are the most vibrant and active I have ever seen them. They may not grow to 7 inches...but they seem happier and I know I am happier. I keep the temp at 82 and I do one water change a week.
So, I guess just keep in mind what your personal goals are. I just rec'd 6 2.5 inchers, 3 cobalts and 3 blue sapphires. I am QTing them in a moderatley planted 55 with temp about 86. They seem pretty happy and active. They are schooling more than I ever saw my BBtank discus school. We'll see how things go in the long run. I am doing QOD water changes which is what I did with my others. So far so good.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
My 2 cents.

First and foremost Simply is a great resource. If you need information about discus, you can get it there. I read and read prior to getting my discus on Simply and many other sites and forums. With all of that reading and being told on Simply to go bear bottom, I put my 7 - 2 1/2" Stendker Discus in a 110 gal low light low tech planted tank with rummy nose tetra, glolite tetra, cory cats, and Bolivian Rams. They have done excellent and thrived. They all range between 5 and 7" and are not quite a year old. I even have 2 that are starting to pair off. There are things you have to remember about a discus tank.

1. It is a discus tank first, that other things are living in. The water parameters have to be kept to the discus liking.

2. It is a discus tank first. If your plants aren't doing well, find other ones.

3. It is a discus tank first. Discus prefer lower lighting so high light co2 tanks are very difficult to do.

4. It is a discus tank first. Water temps at higher levels hold less oxygen so an aerator may be necessary as discus don't do well with the higher flow of a powerhead.

5. It is a discus tank first. If your discus are not thriving in the set up you have them in, be prepared to remove everything except them, the heater, and the filter.

6. It is a discus tank first.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
As far as having plants or not having plants or having tank mates or not having tank mates - I am only suggesting you focus on learning to care for your discus w/o having to worry about anything else. If something goes wrong you can focus on the discus only and fix the problem - whatever it might be. Once you have them well acclimated and have your maintenance routines in place and your school is stable and healthy - then look to add to the tank and make it what you want. IF you want to pay the price and buy adult discus you can accelerate the process because they are easier than growing out your own batch of juvies. I enjoyed the process of growing mine out from little fellas to breeding stock and even breeding them and raising my own babies.

On water measurements - I found the most important thing was stable conditions and warm, clean water. I used straight tap water, aged 24 hours in a barrel for water changes (w/heater and air stone) and no other treatment or measurements. Unless you are going to buy wild caught stock, the discus you purchase have lived in an aquarium all their lives. When you decide on your place of purchase - find out from the breeder what their water conditions are and what they suggest you do to acclimate your new additions.

HTH,

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
6. It is a discus tank first.
Thats how I planned on treating it. Other inhabitants come 2nd and can be moved to my other tanks or sold in the extreme case. I figure if I was going to shell out a $150+ for a group of 6 or 8 discus they would the deciding factor in comparison to my $0.99 tetras.

When you decide on your place of purchase - find out from the breeder what their water conditions are and what they suggest you do to acclimate your new additions.
I had planned on doing this. I know that the biggest shock would most likely be the transfer/shipping from one tank to the other and the change in water between the two. I thought that if I were able to make mine as similar as possible then that would reduce alot of the stress. Also if I were able to find a local breeder/store then I would know that the tap water started at the same point and then could adjust it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store