Conskis 1.25gal Pico

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
so not even use a light on it?

i would just put a the starfish in the tank with it to feed it? i dk how else i would do it.. is there something wrong with that in that size of a tank? if so i guess a sexy shrimp is just the best route to go afterall! sun polyps are also like $100 aret they? they would be awsome to keep.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would think a chocolate chip star would be about the same size as that tank.. a little too big and I bet that type of eating would not be good for water parameters in such a small amount of water.

Those lesser LEDs are fine to use for viewing, just don't expect to really grow any corals other than mushrooms with them is what I was saying, unless you go with non photosynthetic corals. With those it doesn't matter what type of light you put on, but lesser is better so you don't burn them. Dendros are expensive, sun polyps are usually $40-$60 for a 10-20 head colony around here. You have to hand feed them often.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
o yeaa Dendros are the expensive ones. maybe ill go all out and buy a polyp of that!
the good thing about the harlequin is that when they eat the star they keep it alive for the entire duration of their eating process, and will not eat it if it dies (which is the indication to take it out) which is why i am actually considering it, there wouldnt be any muk up of the water and there would be no corals for the spinuals to bother, thats the only reason i was considering it, it would just need to be paid attention to but maybe something about there is something about that situation im not thinking fully through.(sorry about the persistance i just love that shrimp)

i think a dendro polyp is what i might do, if i go otherwise itll be sunpolyps im gonna do a little bit more research on them, and just go with it. ill probably buy a lesser LED like you said simply for viewing because i do not wanna go all natural. Id rather spend 100 dollars on a single polyp then 60 for for a colony, easier to maintain and feed i presime

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I look at it like this... chocolate chip star is that size tank is like a person sitting in a bathtub of water with a open cut... sure the person won't die from the cut, but the blood getting into the water still fouls it up. That is how I picture a CC star getting eaten in 1G of water would do. Your call if you want to see if that analogy holds true, but I suspect it will and would probably lead to the dead of the shrimp because they are sensitive to water parameters, especially ammonia spikes. Why not do a harlequin in one of your other larger tanks? Both your 14 and 34 are fine for them.

Dendro polyps usually run $30-$40 per polyp/head around here. $100 seems a little high unless that is a couple polyps.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
hahaha a viper on this tank would be nuts. i think it would be to much light though plus this is supposed to be a cheap DIY tank lol. the pump is 40gph which is pretty good for the size of it.

the Elos mini sun is probably what ill end up getting so that i can see my dendro and have enough growth on the cheto im already housing in my 14 gal.

and ace i have this theory and this other guy at one of my lfs shares the same one.. hermit crabs and harlequins have some sort of problem with eachother, sounds crazy but he and myself had a perfectly healthy harlequin that was in the process of eating a star and then out of nowhere ALL of my hermits came upon the harlequin and ripped it in half.. strangest thing i have ever witnessed and the same thing happened to him.

i never knew that the star bled once the harlequin came upon in and began eating,i though there was no fouling of the water until it dies but im not willing to risk buying a 40 dollar shrimp to test this, ill trust your better judgment

and i hope dendros arent that expensive, if they go for your listing price ill probably go with 2. Sun-corals are only supposed to open at night from what i read so i dont really want that

Last edited:

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
what about using those luxon led's. They have several colors of white in different Kelvins and I think you can 3 led pods custom made with any comination of leds for about 12 bucks.. 2 whites and a blue, if the K values are right. A small heat sink and a driver and you'd be done

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i passed electronics by the skin of my teeth, would i have to sodder anything?

mind showing me what you mean trigger with links to these things?

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I need a Reef Safe Silicone or epoxy to glue the peice of plexy glass into place for the sump section of the pico?

what a good one, i know that glues have to be cyanoacrylate-based but i would like a very specific brand of SILICONE for around ten bucks that you guys know is at home depot

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
GE I (not II) silicone is good for aquarium use. There's also DAP's silicone (both their regular silicone and their special "aquarium" silicone, which is more expensive), as well as All Glass silicone that you can find at many LFSs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store