converting freshwater to brackish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
It is amazing and depressing what some folks will say, and even more, that others will believe them. Most brackish fish will withstand FW for signiicant periods. This does not mean it is good for them, or that they can have a normal life in the wrong water. Do you want to keep fish properly? Or do you not care so long as it suits your whim?

I am finished with this topic, and poster.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Believe whom you wish, I'm done with this one too.

Last edited:

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
I will believe this guy because i know him really well and hes had experience with full grown scats. And ive seen some full grown scats in freshwater.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I don't know why you even bothered to ask us your questions then.

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
I do appreciate you taking time to post and give me advice. I asked at first because i wanted to know if i could have my pacu and knife in slightly brackish water.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Believe what you want CCchaos04, I just feel sorry for the fish in your care, and in the care of the person who told you that. We dont tell you things just because we want to tell you what you dont wanna hear. We're telling you the TRUTH. Poor fish.

edited for content...you're right Oddball.

Last edited:

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Seaman said:
OMG I just got this fish like NEMO, and even though everyone and their mom tells me its not freshwater, the one guy who wants my money from the LFS said it would do fine in FW...so i put him in there and it only lasted a day, I guess he forgot to mention that what he meant, was that It would do fine in FW for a day until it DIES!!

Believe what you want CCchaos04, I just feel sorry for the fish in your care, and in the care of the person who told you that. We dont tell you things just because we want to tell you what you dont wanna hear. We're telling you the TRUTH. Poor fish.

No need to be sarcastic, this guy just got some wrong info. But, sorry to say, they cannot be accilmated healthily.

Silver Surfer

Superhero
Jan 24, 2005
Chicago
CCchaos04 said:
I do appreciate you taking time to post and give me advice. I asked at first because i wanted to know if i could have my pacu and knife in slightly brackish water.
Full grown scats ideally should be moved to full saltwater conditions but they will do just fine in BW between 1.008 to 1.010 even as adults..... I wouldn't keep them in freshwater after they are larger than 2" or so. Scats lose their colors as they get older generally despite what kind of water they are kept in.
Sometimes the food they are being fed also plays a huge role in the fish's colors.

........and my experience with scats is that they can be somewhat peaceful as juveniles but become very territorial as adults. They are nice though for eating other fish waste and algae in the tank. An adult scat would do just fine in a 75 gallon tank as long as there weren't too many other fish in there with it. My advice would be to keep your tank freshwater with the knife and pacu and get rid of the scat....

Try not to get offended by anyone here. 95% of the people who buy fish from a store house them incorrectly or kill them or pitch them when they get too large as adults. Some even let them go into local lakes and rivers. NOT EVERYONE WHO BUYS A FISH CAN AFFORD TO KEEP IT OR HOUSE IT THEIR WHOLE LIVES but you should be able to find someone to take them off your hands when they get too big to keep. The large knife should be easier to get rid of than a large pacu. If you can't cook them up...at least they won't be going to waste...... I hear Pacu actually taste good.

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Folks in the Amazon eat pirahana all the time & they are the same family.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store