Cory eating POOP?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Well, even if your panda ate a piece of poop in an isolated event, one cannot believe that poop is enough food, or enough maintenance for a tank. Cories are a schooling species, so at least 2 more are needed, and they have nutritional needs not met simply by scavenging. They need to be fed intentionally either bottom sinking wafers, shrimp pellets, or frozen foods (like bloodworms or tubifex).

Beasts

Beasts
Jan 15, 2007
Anthropomorphism gone WILD! One would think from many of the posts in this thread that there is something inherently wrong and disgusting about consuming fecal material. Corydoras are scavengers and bottom feeders. Fecal material has excellent nutritional value and their niche includes browsing on whatever their whiskers touch and identify as good nutrition. With almost 100 fish in my aquarium I rarely see fecal material and my 9 Corydoras are constantly browsing on the bottom. Shoot guys, you don't think anything of oscars swallowing entire fish, complete with the entire contents of the lower intestine and the anus itself! In the wild Mother Nature does not provide sterile properly balanced sinking pellets for the Corydoras and yet they do just fine - and have for a whole lot of years before man came along. Sure we have to provide food for them but they naturally eat detritus and detritus includes fecal material, dead plant material, bacteria, etc. There is nothing wrong with that. And catfish in all of their variety are some of my favorites. There are at least 35 catfish in my 400. I have many catfish which do not show themselves at feeding times. They are shy and nocturnal and quite well fed. They are the last fish I worry about getting enough to eat.
Beasts

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
The poo disintegrates into powder and then sinks inside the gravel. Stir it and see what happens. Then you'll know where the poo went.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well, even if they do eat feces, they should still be fed proper foods. more than likely consumption is just a tiny part of the 'disappearing poop' mystery. most of it is stirred up into the water column and caught by filters, or broken down into smaller pieces and hidden in the substrate.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
I can't believe this is actually a topic that is unagreed upon.

Cories, tetras, cichlids, you name it, DO NOT EAT POOP.

perhaps they might try it, because it LOOKS like food, but they DO NOT consume it. period. TRUST ME.

easilyconfused

AC Members
Aug 30, 2007
I'm new to the underwater biology but in terrestrial animals, Coprophagy is a common thing. For neonates, eating their mother's feces is how they help establish a healthy intestinal microflora and prevent pathogen colonization. It is also a good source of B vitamins that only bacteria produce and monogastric's don't get as they are hindgut fermenters. So, they may be getting their B vitamins. And after a degree in animal science, working on a DVM, you can trust me on that.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I find this rather discouraging in my opinion for serious aquarists. This gives an impression to wannabes that catfish are scavengers after all.:irked: I agree with Jon (J Double R) on this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store