Craigslist ftw

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
So I was hanging around on cl and managed to pick myself up a 55 gallon tank that came with a Fluval 304 filter and a bunch of nice natural decor (driftwood, rocks, etc) and a bunch of random extra fish supplies from someone getting out of the hobby--all for $75.

There's no stand for the tank, and the light set up is....well interesting to say the least, but that's all easily fixed. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with myself. :)

Now to take this into my stocking equations....

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
I don't think that's going to fit into any stockings. You'll just have to wrap it and put it under the tree.
lol

The boyfriend and I were thinking about trying our hand at oscars, so this could be a good opportunity for it. We were just going to wait until we upgraded the 58g and use it (or the 35g with the RES that we're making a new habitat for) so now we'll have one more free tank when the 58g empties.

Of course, we can cross that bridge when we get to it. And we have so many plans going on right now, maybe it's best to take it slow, huh?

:lol:

Yeah right.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Nice find. I picked up a 55g from Craigslist as well, with stand, crappy canopy, non-op HOB, non-submersible but working heater, gravel and plastic plants.

Maybe make it into a big community tank?

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
I'm really not that big on community tanks. Between my dorm tank and the breeder tank, I've got enough of the community-style thing going on for my tastes.

I'm pretty sure we'll end up going with oscars. Yeah, it's small to be a permanent tank, but we're only going to get two (yeah, we're playing that game of russian roulette, we're aware of how it could go, and are comfortable with the possibility of having to separate them down the road if they decide to wage war) around an inch or two. That should give us at least a little growing space.

Of course that still leaves the question of the empty 58gal we'll have eventually. I'm sure we'll find something though. :p

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
I lucked out and got an over/under stand on Craigslist with a 55 (Old school - half inch glass, no brace) and a 40 long along with lids and lights for.....
$45.

Now, I sold off that 55 (and turned a profit), and have shelved the 40 until I build my fishroom stands, but the stand is running now with a modern 55 full of festivums on the top and a 33 long on the bottom that I am setting up with a lengthwise current and a bunch of driftwood for loricarid breeding.

Craigslist does indeed rock.

jeepn4x4

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
Southern NH
Craigslist is great. I got a 75 and a 55. Both had stands and also included 2 XP3, CF lighting for both, glass tops, heaters, food, some cichlids, Eheim 2215 plus other accessories. Now the best part is it was all FREE.

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
Haha, in Dallas the really sweet deals get snapped up too fast for me to ever have a chance. I like to stalk the craigslist of my college town, though, it works out a lot better for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store