Crayfish Journal (Cambarellus Patzcuarensis sp. Orange)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
OMG OMG OMG!!! Soooo cutttte!!! I want one :(

If I could ever find some for sale I will def use your journal for reference. I hate buying pets without proper info as well. So nice of you to post this for us!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Nice job Yadokari and nice pics! I didn't find them to be too hard to keep either...except that I had some tank problems and lost a couple :( Unfortunately I did pay $50 pair. If you feel you have too many and could ship 'em, I'd be interested in taking some off your hands. I'm not to keen on paying $50/pair again but I'm not looking for freebies either :)

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
An update on:
"Feb 23, 2009
Further observation: The crays have hatched but still cling onto the mother in their curled up position. From what I see, they can't walk yet. I found 3 that fell off the mother. Two are still alive and in the ball position as shown above. Another one isn't curled up but is unfortunately not showing any movement, I assume it's dead.
The two survivors are both isolated in a little plastic container inside the tank to protect them from the adults. They're wiggling around still, hopefully they'll start walking around soon
"

One of the two babies that fell off when they were unable to walk yet passed away. However, the first egg that I found DID start walking last night. It fell off the mother 5 days prematurely and was isolated through a plastic container inside the tank ever since. It still grew at the same pace as his/her brothers and sisters.
So for future reference, if your crayfish eggs have hatched and fall off the mother, scoop them up gently and keep them in a safe place inside the tank. There is a possibility that it will grow further and begin walking!

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Been a while since I updated!

Well, the first batch that popped off the first pregnancy was good... for the first few days! Within a week, the numbers went down. I can only find 3 now, when originally I could count 10+!
I'm going to assume that the adult crays might be eating them. So I am now going to start isolating them into little breeder nets (by lee's) to increase their survival. I'm still trying to check the tank every now and then to see if I missed any. Perhaps save more than just a measly 3 :-(

The good news is, the 2nd female who got berried should release her eggs within a week or so. The eggs are hatching, if not already hatched.
The first female who released her eggs two weeks ago is also berried again as of yesterday night.

Time to try again! This time, to increase the young one's survival rate.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
March 19, 2009
Batch #2 hatched.

Round two for increasing the survival rate begins today!

For an update on the first batch, only made cray made it unfortunately! It's about 1 cm long now. Obvious orange coloring is forming.

I will update as time goes on. Perhaps write something up about my findings on how to increase survival rate. I have been reading many reports about people who keep their babies with adult dwarf crays and get poor success in keeping them alive. The reason for their mysterious disappearance is still floating up in the air though! Although I believe they're being eaten by adults.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Got home at around 12 AM and scooped up as many babies as I could find. I think I missed a couple in the tank still but I caught most of the easy pickings.

Count the babies in the picture!! I sure can't.

In the one of the pictures, there's a noticeably larger crayfish than the others. That one is the sole survivor from the first batch.

IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1569.JPG

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
The sole survivor from the first batch. Here's an image of it next to a quarter to compare its size.
Growth seems slow, I've been feeding him/her random fish flakes (just one) and sometimes hikari crab bites. I got a free sample of it so I figured I may as well use it. People say the crab bites is bad for inverts due to copper. I use it anyway, doesn't have negative effects so I figure it's fine.

IMG_1572.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store