culling matters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
not too many people, eat people either. and in countries where it happens..it is a fact of life.
the comparison is not the same. culling is very much a part of the industry and is common even among hobby breeders.
it helps to remove 'defects' from the line and often is used to 'enhance' characterisitcs in the particular breed.
keep in mind many of the fish yo probably keep came from a breeder where culling was used to provide you with the fish you desire.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have seen Angel Farms in VA where hondreds if not thousands get culled in any given week. Anybody that is in the hobby, indirectly supports this activity.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
psht, the fish i desire. my O doesnt have the most beautiful markings ever and some of my rasboras are funny looking.. my betta isnt a crown or a veiltail. i think that stuff is ridonculous. you know, theres people out there who arent just looking for a "show" fish. seriously.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
maybe the ones with deformities i understand, but just because their color isnt as bright as the two brightest in the tank? thats crazy.

tattoobaz

AC Members
Nov 6, 2007
dorset uk
psht, the fish i desire. my O doesnt have the most beautiful markings ever and some of my rasboras are funny looking.. my betta isnt a crown or a veiltail. i think that stuff is ridonculous. you know, theres people out there who arent just looking for a "show" fish. seriously.
are you seriously saying that from a tank full of fish at the lfs you wouldnt pick the most vibrant, colourful healthy looking fish?

i cull fish all the time. not because i am a blood thirsty brut but because it is part of a healthy balanced diet i provide for my predatory fish.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
The overwhelming majority of fish in the hobby, would not exist as you see them now were it not for culling somewhere along the line to breed for a specific look or temperament. So I have to agree 100% with rbishop's statment, "Anybody that is in this hobby, is indirectly supporting culling", and that includes anyone who keeps commercially bred fish, no matter if they are 'show fish' or not.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I honestly have to agree with easydoesit. By using electricity I am supporting the oil companies, but I don't like it.

Edit: Your fish look (looked, for the others) pretty and healthy.

Last edited:

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
no, i didnt pick my fish because they were the best looking fish there. i picked my O bc he was beating another fish up and the people refused to move him to a seperate tank, i picked my betta bc he was a healthy seeming one and i didnt want to get a fish and have him die the next day or week, and the LFS person picked my Rasbos for me.
i just wouldnt breed fish if i knew i would just be bringing them in to kill over half of them.
for feeders its fine to me, but idk.. the ppl who breed show fish and just throw away all the ones that arent show quality is what i dont like. breeding fish and taking the ones with deformities that would cause pain or suffering and using them for feeders is fine i think.
but whatever, its not me whos culling the fish, so my opinion doesnt really matter

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
Well Easydoesit! Glad to see it took you 9 replies to this thread to realize that this perticular opinion does not help with the subject.

You think this is bad..check out how they make fish food and fertilizer! They don't run around collecting dead fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store