curious about maintaining your tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how long to you run your filter?

• a- 24/7

Votes: 163 97.0%
  • b- 8-12hrs

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • c- 2-4hrs

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • d- who needs a filter??

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I thought that if your filter is off for more than a few hours, it has the possibility of not turning back on (like burning up motor or something)? Thats why i get worried everytime there is a power outage. Is this true?

P.S. i keep mine running 24-7. DUH! :)

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
24/7 I can't imagine not having it on 24/7! Except water changes (the filters will get damaged if its ran without water), I never turn it off...its soothing to hear the water splashing into the tank...

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I thought that if your filter is off for more than a few hours, it has the possibility of not turning back on (like burning up motor or something)? Thats why i get worried everytime there is a power outage. Is this true?

I don't know, but once I had that problem. I was doing a water change and when I plugged my filter back in it wouldn't start! Scared me outta my wits...it turned on after a while though :).

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed

as long as you are present to fix it is it doesn't start up or if the filter has run dry
a lot of them work off magnetic drive water cools it

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL

All pumps need water in them to start, hence the term "prime the pump". Usually you will only have a problem with that after taking a filter off to clean or service it as most are designed to hold enough water around the impeller if power is lost. If there is water there and it wont start that is usually a sign of a dirty impeller or a piece of sand or detritus stuck in the impeller housing. This is the most common reason one wont turn back on after a power outage.

Beasts

Beasts
Jan 15, 2007
More than 45 years in the hobby and I had never before heard anyone suggest running the filter part time! You are to be congratulated for truly thinking outside the box! I'm serious.
For optimum performance the water should be aerated and filtered constantly. Both functions can be accomplished with a good filter. The quality of the water will start deteriorating as soon as water movement stops, it just won't be measurable with our test kits or observable in the fishes behavior right away. The dissolved oxygen will start to drop and the CO2 will begin to rise. The bacteria won't start dying immediately but their metabolism will slow in a short time.
I can think of better ways to save money, if that is your goal.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Beasts, 45 years and running in this hobby... that is incredibly special. Congratulations! I bet you have some great stories...

I just noticed something that escaped my attention earlier. The next option below 24/7 is "8-12 hours". Does that mean that in addition to the filter not running 24/7, the next best option is to run 1/2 a day on average to achieve cost savings? Or worse, "trying" to run their tank 2-4 hrs qd?

These animals can be so fragile; talk about living dangerously.

Last edited:

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
In my single year in this hobby, I've learned alot of things. Nothing more prevalent than human beings being careless towards lower life forms.

Lets face it, fish are a lower life form. That said, that does not give us the right to abuse them. But alot of people just think "hey its a fish, big deal, get over it".

I've actually had someone tell me that keeping a betta in a 5g tank is a waste..... this is coming from an owner of an LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store