d00d's 20 long nano reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It's a hangon type thing, isn't it? How do you like it? I would like to do something like that on the back of my tank

d00d

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
ive tested both those options.

i cant move it up cause less tube = more flow = more water in fuge than can get sucked out. the floss clogs the tube more than the macro. i pluck macro out every so often but big chunks arent breaking off.

i'm probably just going to put the pump inside the fuge so if anything does go wrong just the pump will get fried and my tank wont crash cause i lost 10 gallons of water.

d00d

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
It's a hangon type thing, isn't it? How do you like it? I would like to do something like that on the back of my tank
its actually pretty great. aside from it overflowing once (due to the outflow tube being smaller than the intake, not scootrnerds fault, i put the tube there cause i hate the sucking noise an open hole makes with the water when it flows out)

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
Just a couple suggestions, you may want to move the pump that powers the fuge up towards the top of your tank for a couple reasons. 1. Higher levels of DOCs towards the top of the tank to be filtered out and 2. More importantly, if your return on the fuge ever got clogged you wouldn't have your whole tank draining on the floor like DSR just had happen.

I would put a coarse filter sponge over the tip of the hose on the return line from the fuge so Macro algae doesn't get sucked into it and clog, and also rethink the caulerpa down the road. I did both for a while myself and caulerpa can be a pain in the butt after a while, cheato does a great job and is much cleaner.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! i designed that fuge to almost be imposable for the algae to get in the output. i have built and sold over 200 never heard of one overflowing due to design. tank looks awesome dood. glad my work could be part of it.

d00d

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Most pumps usually come with a little valve adapter with it. You can just turn down the output of the pump that way and still raise it up.
this is true. i dont think the rio does though.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! i designed that fuge to almost be imposable for the algae to get in the output. i have built and sold over 200 never heard of one overflowing due to design. tank looks awesome dood. glad my work could be part of it.

do you know if its possible to get rid of the noisy siphon when theres no tubing in the outflow?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
its actually pretty great. aside from it overflowing once (due to the outflow tube being smaller than the intake, not scootrnerds fault, i put the tube there cause i hate the sucking noise an open hole makes with the water when it flows out)
Well, it appears now you have heard of 1. ;) I bet you didn't take into account people modding them like the above did. Still, I have seen caulerpa stop the spindle on a 5000GPH pump from getting sucked in, as well as clog a 5" pool strainer over the output bulkhead in a sump, that stuff can clog things like no other. Seen it personally many times now.

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
Well, it appears now you have heard of 1. ;) I bet you didn't take into account people modding them like the above did. Still, I have seen caulerpa stop the spindle on a 5000GPH pump from getting sucked in, as well as clog a 5" pool strainer over the output bulkhead in a sump, that stuff can clog things like no other. Seen it personally many times now.
as i said DUE TO DESIGN any modifications are not part of the original design therefor not the fault of the design ;)

dood how many gph is the pump you have running it? also how far if at all is the return spout from the top of the water?

d00d

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
IT WAS NOT SCOOTRNERDS FAULT! i said that. it was my own. i dont blame him at all. read my post better, i took responsibility right after the stuff you underlined lol :headshake2:

i forget the GPH right now i think its 65. when ever i take the tube out the water is always slightly below the top of the outtake so theres air coming through with the water making a noise. i have it 99% under control but it a crab decides to make a home in the tube thats not gona be good :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store