d00d's 20 long nano reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Gotta echo what Ace said, don't have your pump low in the tank if it feeds something outside... unless you are 100% certain that your connection will not fail (which you can never be 100% certain). As Ace was mentioning, I did that and lost close all of my coral and my beloved clam. Not to mention the 2 purple firefish, one clown, one cleaner shrimp... and very nearly ruined the carpeting in our livingroom. So just something to consider.

d00d

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
the pump is not adjustable. im going to try and figure this out this week since school is (finally!) over with :D

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It isn't so much adjusting the pump as it is adjusting the location of the pump relative to the water level. To explain, if you put the pump under 16" of water and have a failure the pump will continue to pump water out of your tank until the water level is below the level of the pump... which, I can tell you, can be a good chunk of water. However, take that same pump and place it 3" below the water line and you will get two things (1) increased flow due to decreased resistance of potential turns,etc. and, more importantly, (2) in the event of a failure the pump will only continue to pump until the water level gets below 3" (still a lot of water sometimes, but a whole lot less than 16" and it could very well mean the difference between a dead tank and a live tank.

it really is just a matter of cutting the line from the pump down to size. Nothing regarding adjusting the actual pump.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
He is saying when he puts the pump up towards the top, the head pressure is so high it is too much flow. I understand that part. What I don't understand is why it is so hard to install a valve on the tubing coming out of the pump. Every pump I have ever bought came with about 20 different plastic adapters, one of them being a valve to be able to adjust flow.

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
He is saying when he puts the pump up towards the top, the head pressure is so high it is too much flow. I understand that part. What I don't understand is why it is so hard to install a valve on the tubing coming out of the pump. Every pump I have ever bought came with about 20 different plastic adapters, one of them being a valve to be able to adjust flow.

agreed you should be able to put an inline valve on it to slow it down.
or you can go the cheap route and remove half of the paddles on the impeller
of the pump.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It would have probably helped if I had read the whole thing... we were talking about two different things... I see now what he is saying.

d00d

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Yup the fuge is working great now that i found the adjustable flow knob (thanks Ace ;) )

and heres a pic of the new Acan and Chalice frags i picked up today..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store