Daily log of my new 55 gallon South American Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Ok today was the light shopping day. I bought 2 strip lights. I found two timers for the lights in my aquarium junk box. I am going to run 7 hrs on the display tank and about 14 hrs on the vegatative filter. One nice stainless steel striplight for the display tank and a el cheapo for the fuge. For the display tank I used one 6500K and one 5000K T-8 bulbs from home depot (total of $28 for the fixture and lights, about 1/4 of the price at an aquaium store). For the fuge light I just used two 6500K lights. I got two water hycanths (spelling?) from my pond to use as the vegatative filtration. You can see the crazy root structure in one of the pics. They grow pretty quick so we will see how they do. I would guess in several months they will completely cover the entire fuge in a big network of plants. I put a bunch of aluminum foil on the fuge light to help give the plants all the light possible. If the plants start not looking good, then they will go out to the pond again. They float so it is much easier to manage the fuge.....want to get in the fuge, just put them in a bucket! With the spaths it took 25 minutes to clear the plants out of the fuge. We will see how well they do indoors. If they fail I can always go back to the spaths.......There is one pic of the rosy barbs also....

IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0866.JPG

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
the hyacinth should be fine. I grew one in a guacamole/chip bowl, with 3 crabs as the only nutrient source, and virtually no good light, for almost a month, and the thing just kept growing and growing... and then I put it in my tank with ferts, co2 and lights... and the thing grew about an inch a day, forming new leaves once every 2 or 3 days... until I tossed it. it was HUGE.

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
oh, and NICE CHERRY BARBS!!!
They are rosy barbs......although I do love cherry barbs also!!

That is good to know how easy those plants are to grow. They should sprout like weeds then!! I wonder if they will flower indoors....We shall see!

Lukee

*Legend*
Jun 23, 2007
Aussie Land
what is the plant thing for? and where abouts is it? im a noob at big tanks...
is it behind below? lol

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
what is the plant thing for? and where abouts is it? im a noob at big tanks...
is it behind below? lol

plants are used for quick nutrient uptake to remove pollutants from the water. the end result of the bacteria cycle is nitrate, with a plant system no nitrates show up in my aquarium because the plants use them all. I am going to test the water shortly to see if there are any measurable nitrates in the system. The terminology is "Vegatative filter" instead of a powerfilter or something you use plants...the roots actually grab junk out of the water and act as a mechanical filter at the same time. let me know if this clears up your question....

Andrew.

Life is good.
Jul 1, 2007
Illinois
Ok I was thinking about going with either discus or maybe south american tank or a gourami tank (pearls of course). Or maybe I should go with a weird "odd ball" fish.......I suck at plants so I have given up on that idea for this aquarium......Any ideas would be great! I can't decide!
I read all the posts you made with pictures and was waiting to see a lushly planted aquarium two years later. Why did you give up on the plants?

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I read all the posts you made with pictures and was waiting to see a lushly planted aquarium two years later. Why did you give up on the plants?
I seem to suck at it and I don't know if I have the time to maintain a planted tank. To have a nice one you have to work at it......

I will have a planted tank someday, it is a challenge that I would like to take. Right now with the outdoor pond and the 55, I am maxed on "fish" time!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store