Daily log of my new 55 gallon South American Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Went to a "good" pet store for some fish today.....Found nothing worth buying. The fish stores in the Bay Area are pretty weak......I guess the search for good stores continues....

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Today I went to Aquatic life forms in Sunnyvale and it was a good store. I added 5 pearl gouramis and 3 odessa barbs to the tank. I took out the 4 rosy barbs and tossed them into my pond. For the last couple of days we couldn't find the 4th rosy barb in the tank. We assumed that everytime we looked, one was hiding in the rocks. Well we were partially true, one was in the rocks alright....He was stuck between two rocks. He has 3 major open sores and his tail fin is almost completely missing. I am not sure how he is alive even. I feel really bad. We put him in the pond (any fish that goes into that pond fattens up and grows like crazy) to help the healing process. I will keep everyone posted on how he does.....

I re-arragned the rock work to avoid that issue again. The odessa barb is one of the most beautiful barbs I ahve ever seen. Once they get used to the tank I will snap some pics. They are stunners. The pearl gouramis are young so not much in terms of color yet. We will see. Right now here are my stocking plans for the 55:

6 bosmanis
5 pearl grouramis
3 odessa barbs (part time in my tropical pond also)
2 pineapple swords (only in winter, otherwise outside in the pond)
1or 2 algae eater of some kind
6 panda corys
3 kulii loaches (maybe)

I don't think this will be too much, but I might cut down on the number of inhabitants. Not sure yet...

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Here are a couple crappy pics. I am not a photographer so don't yell at me! The red streak is the odessa barb, it's impossible to get a pic of them still but I wanted to show how red these bad boys are! The pearls are still only 2" long so they have some growing to do. I am impressed with how nice they look at such a young age.

IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0905.JPG

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Cool! love the Pearls. I had a breeding pair in my old 55g planted tank.
I just pulled my old 10g out of the back of the storage closet and I plan on setting it back up for my girlfriend. Just cleaned it and filled it with water to check for leaks. It hasn't held water for over 3 yrs.
Keep the updates coming!

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Cool! love the Pearls. I had a breeding pair in my old 55g planted tank.
I just pulled my old 10g out of the back of the storage closet and I plan on setting it back up for my girlfriend. Just cleaned it and filled it with water to check for leaks. It hasn't held water for over 3 yrs.
Keep the updates coming!
I am going for a "get punched in your face" tank that is so colorful it will blow you away. Well seriously I am trying to make it very catchy, do you think pearls and Boeseman's rainbows would get along? Those two fish almost cover all the colors in the rainbow.. I was thinking 5 pearls and 6-8 boeseman's...Would it be overstocked???

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Nah, not overstocked...especially if heavily planted. Should look awesome.:) Pearls are very peaceful as far as gouramis go. Go with 1-2 males.

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I took out the water hyacinths from the sump. They were looking really sad.... I will put some spaths like I had in the past. They like the light a dual bulb strip light puts out. I think the water hyacinths needed brighter light...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd fill the sump up with some water sprite, myself. If you already aren't doing so, it wouldn't hurt to fertilize and add some Flourish Excel to the tank/sump, as well. The plants may not be getting enough nutrients.

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I'd fill the sump up with some water sprite, myself. If you already aren't doing so, it wouldn't hurt to fertilize and add some Flourish Excel to the tank/sump, as well. The plants may not be getting enough nutrients.
That could be true, but the Spaths grew like crazy and lived for over a year with no problems.....Also I really don't want to start fertilizing, if I wanted to do that I would have a planted tank in the firstplace......Who knows maybe my bioload is less than it was before and the plants are being starved, good point.:headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store