Damsels, yes or no

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I like damsels, they are interesting guys. I had 5 at one time,that eventually became lionfish food while I was on a vacation. They are neat looking guys, but I just don't want to risk any issues adding one into a more peaceful tank. I don't like the concept of returning things to LFS unless I don't have the means to care for something.

biggy_boie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2008
victoria harbour ontario
iv had a few in my days one for about 2 years and it was about 4inch. it was a real pain and would even attack new corals or rocks but the oone i have now gets bullied by everyone else

sixpack_ey

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Wow, what a long list of replies! Thanks guys, for all the opinions. I think I will stick to my plans for damsels, which makes me really happy. I will add them last.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I have to agree that when they get bored, they will pick at just about anything. I have had to reposition many things and even relocate them (not my damsels).

Velvet Damsel and Yellow Tail Damsel. They eat everything except my mushrooms and snails. The yellow tail seem to be mellower.

JohnLin

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Madison, WI
No matter how many experience encounters you've heard, damsels + other tankmates are strictly case by case scenarios.
You'll never know if it'll work in your tank until you try.
But yes, the strategy of adding them last will help with success rate.

sixpack_ey

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Well, it is a 24 gallon nano cube. I know I want percula clownfish and damsels, I'm not sure on the #. Maybe one clown or a pair and then anywhere from 1-3 damsels. I am still researching and in the planning stage. I have the tank, but its not ready yet or anything. Maybe a royal gramma? Those are the three I really like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store