Dead Mollies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JimTurntable

AC Members
Mar 25, 2009
Amonnia and Nitrates continue nominal, but two of my fish are still spending a lot of time at the top of the tank gasping for air. Should I do water changes, get an air pump? Other than that things seem to be doing good!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Amonnia and Nitrates continue nominal, but two of my fish are still spending a lot of time at the top of the tank gasping for air. Should I do water changes, get an air pump? Other than that things seem to be doing good!
Water changes won't hurt. Yes, add an airpump.

JimTurntable

AC Members
Mar 25, 2009
Will do that tomorrow for sure thanks. pH took a big dip today from last night,, it went from the 7.2 to 6.0! Both are in the range for the fish I have though, how concerned should I be?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Will do that tomorrow for sure thanks. pH took a big dip today from last night,, it went from the 7.2 to 6.0! Both are in the range for the fish I have though, how concerned should I be?
What are the KH and GH?

JimTurntable

AC Members
Mar 25, 2009
...I don't have a test kit for that! Argh. I bought the kit everyone told me to, the API one, it doesn't have those! This is getting very frustrating. According to the test strips that do measure that, the kh is low, under 80ppm, and the hardness is around 80ppm. Everyone I've talked to says they matter less than the other readings, especially since they are very sucesptible to water changes.

Also, the test strips reading for my nitrates, nitrites and pH is nearly identical to the readings from the API kit.

ecbmelton

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Kentucky
Looks like they are getting you on the right track Jim. When buying new fish i always ask about the water they were kept in. Also mollies like water with a little more hardness, not sure about the tetras though. Good luck.

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
About the strips looking like a match to the API results, well, the strips are a crapshoot. It just depends how you swiped them in the water... their mood... etc.... Sometimes you'll get a close result, sometimes way off. It just depends.

It sounds like you're doing a great job getting back on track though. Good luck

JimTurntable

AC Members
Mar 25, 2009
I don't know. After reading everything here and on other sites I'm more confused than I've ever been. If kH and hardness are so important, how come no test kits I saw had them, should I worry about THAT now? Why is this so hard? This is the first tank I've had where I've even bothered measuring anything and its the first tank I've had any problems with.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You mentioned your pH dropped by a wide margin. Your water must be soft or the test kit is expired which is why you need the KH and GH test kit to be sure.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
GH and KH are more important than pH, although less important than ammonia and nitrite. I think we can take it as red that your KH is very low, to be honest, which is why your KH is dropping. You can do something about that, but you do need the GH and KH test kits before you start messing with the water chemistry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store