Death by Sleeping with Rover??!! (crazy animal sickness info)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Typical sensational journalism. How many people are actually allowing an animal to lick an open sore? Sorry, it sounds like stupid people getting what they deserve. I have had enough of a battle with hospital induced infections that I don't need to compound it by allowing our animals (or our fish) to help. Fish stay in their tanks, hands get washed; dog sleeps in our room but on the floor; cats don't sleep on our bed either. Even kept at a slight distance so to speak, they do warn me of bad days and possible seizures.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What about swine? The article states nothing about letting your pet pig(s) sleep in bed with you. I'm sure after a long, hard day of wallowing in the mud, they enjoy coming inside and snuggling up with 'master' on the Grand King.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
That was a really dumb article. Sure your dog can make you sick, but you can also get food poisoning from eating just about anywhere. You can slip and fall in the shower or get in a wreck on the way to work. Does that mean you should give in to the paranoia and lock yourself in a padded room?
Not a padded room, if the padding isn't routinely disinfected it can grow toxic mold! If you live in a plastic bubble then you could suffocate from the plastic.

I agree that the risk of contracting a disease by letting your pets sleep in the same bed as you is tiny at most.

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
You wanna know something really effed up? Yesterday after I posted this, one of our cats came in looking really messed up, so I took it to the vet and they basically told me it had mange, and that humans could get it in the form of scabies, allbeit a mild form and not as difficult to deal with as human scabies, they told me to check every one that's come in contact with the cat( up to three weeks before it showed symptoms) for tiny bumps, and sure enough my daughter had them. I took her to the Dr. today and he prescribed her permitherin (or however you spell it) cream. I bought more lime sulfer dip for the rest of the animals, and now I have to bleach and wash everything in our friggin house!!!!!! The dip stinks like **** and I'm just in a horrible mood in general, now.... call it karma or coincidence, but I no longer wish to speak of horrible things, for fear they might happen to us. Thank god fish don't have fur. Now I have to treat all the mammals in the house!!!Thank you, Karma!!:cry::1zhelp::crazy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store