Discus Agression

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Wow! Sorry for the problems jinks. Poor little cories. I hope you can resolve the bullying.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
However, I had a problem with my previous school of sterbai cories. One male cory was actually pecking out eyes and killing the others until he was the only one left. I researched it couple years ago and noticed others having the same problem with their cories. It is atypical behavior for them but apparently has to do with breeding.
Oh peachy, I hope I don't have this to look forward to with my group of 19 sterbai, or there will be a "Cory Fire Sale" right quick!:evil_lol: Do you happen to remember if this is behavior seen in tank raised vs. wild stock? I think people line breed their fish too much. If I'm going to breed fish, I get stock from a few different sources. My cories are part wild, part from one breeder, and part from another breeder to make up the group.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
That seems like a lot of cories for a 75 with 5 discus. I would have to say you are underfeeding so the discus are chasing off the cories. Discus also are bottom feeders so they may defend it if they love what your feeding them. However, I had a problem with my previous school of sterbai cories. One male cory was actually pecking out eyes and killing the others until he was the only one left. I researched it couple years ago and noticed others having the same problem with their cories. It is atypical behavior for them but apparently has to do with breeding.
I would just leave the tank alone and let them sort it out, but you could put the discus in another tank, would be easier than catching cories!
20 cories and 5 discus in a 75g? How is it a lot? This is one's own perception. It isn't overstocked to me. The tank is heavily planted and this alone helps enough to control the water quality. I have never heard of a male corydoras attacking other members of its group. If it is typical, where is the link to prove others have had similar experiences?

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
:iagree:100%

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
I didnt say anything about water quality as that is not an issue with that many fish in a heavily planted tank. Also I assume Rach is doing water changes to grow her discus as she has said in other posts. The issue I am raising is that cories are bottom feeders and discus will graze on the bottom regularly. They both feed in the same area possibly causing aggression. Cories also ( I will try to find the link) are not suited for heavy planting and prefer some fast moving water, although I never take everything I hear to heart. The only soft spot on the cories would be the eyes so naturally the discus would go for them.
As far the problem with breeding yes mine were all tank born and raised sterbai. The single male sterbai actually pecked out the eyes on the other ten I got at the same time.
I dont know why this happened only that I observed it myself and added 3 more sterbai after the fact and he killed them as well, never left them alone and kept pecking at the eyes. I eventually took him back as I was sick of the behavior. I had searched the web two years ago about the problem so I dont have any links anymore but others had posted about the same problem. I also said it is A-typical, not typical behavior.
Good luck Rach...tank looks great.

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
Rachel,

I will take the Discus back if you are worried they minght eat your cories.:evil_lol::evil_lol:

You all should see how many Corie's we have in our tanks with Discus , have not lost any because of aggression. I love the combo of Discus, cories and BN's helps with the maintenance. My cories even eat Discus poop:dance:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
LOL, not THAT worried about it Pops! Just trying to figure out what to do, lmao. I have 2 abn to add to the tank as well.I just wanted to figure out what was going on before I added even more bottom feeders to the mix. :D

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
Add some (4-6) larger angelfish to the tank and maybe a school of 20 neons. This will give the discus something else to chase after instead of the cories. Also, if you are adding frozen food try putting it directly into the tank along with some bottom feeder pellets for the cories. The frozen food will float and the discus will stay at the top of the tank. Also consider a worm feeder and thaw frozen bloodworms and put them into the feeder. The discus won't go after fish that aren't near the food.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I do have a cone feeder, but the worms don't seem to fit through it well. I have started feeding pellets at the same time I feed worms. I am dropping them into densely planted areas for the cories, while the discus feed predominantly in the foreground. I do plan on adding 20 or so tetras/rasboras, I just haven't decided which type would be best yet. Any suggestions other than cardinals?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Rach your oscar is just mad at you so he's teaching the discus how to properly rebel. Your basement is a hotbed of fish aggression! :p:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store