Discus Agression

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i would say to combine the discus tank with all of your invert tanks, and an endli or two. add captain cranky pants in there too for good measure. then take them out after two days, the survivors will prioritize above the cories and realize how petty it is to attack them :D
LOL do not do that. im just messing around
sorry about your discus problems tho :( your tank looks beautiful!! love the huge sword on the left!
best of luck! ;)

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Haha! he has evolved a telepathic and dark side of his mind to communicate with fish from across the room! you have a monster serial killer on your hands rach LOL im sure if you look really close in the algae on the side of the tank you can see elaborate plans of your demise drawn out
hahaha XD

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
ROFL!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
I do have a cone feeder, but the worms don't seem to fit through it well. I have started feeding pellets at the same time I feed worms. I am dropping them into densely planted areas for the cories, while the discus feed predominantly in the foreground. I do plan on adding 20 or so tetras/rasboras, I just haven't decided which type would be best yet. Any suggestions other than cardinals?
Rachel,

I have Lee's Large Cone Worm feeder, and it works great with Hikari's Frozen Blood Worms. Fits very well, and keeps the discus occupied. I had to get another, because 10 Discus attacking one cone, is just too much!

They're $2 a pop around here, so not a bad investment at all. I was tired of having to shut off my filter everytime I was feeding worms.

As for tank-mates, Cardinals! :lol:

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
I do have a cone feeder, but the worms don't seem to fit through it well. I have started feeding pellets at the same time I feed worms. I am dropping them into densely planted areas for the cories, while the discus feed predominantly in the foreground. I do plan on adding 20 or so tetras/rasboras, I just haven't decided which type would be best yet. Any suggestions other than cardinals?
The worms should be thawed prior to putting them into the feeder. They will fit through...the discus will blow at them and stir them up enough to be able to suck them out through the holes.

Other suggestions for tankmates would be a large school of black neons, glowlights, rummynose in addition to a smaller group of 7-8 hatchets for the upper part of the tank.

Rachel,

I have Lee's Large Cone Worm feeder, and it works great with Hikari's Frozen Blood Worms. Fits very well, and keeps the discus occupied. I had to get another, because 10 Discus attacking one cone, is just too much!

They're $2 a pop around here, so not a bad investment at all. I was tired of having to shut off my filter everytime I was feeding worms.

As for tank-mates, Cardinals! :lol:
FWIW you are probably going to want to avoid feeding cones in your tank. If I remember right you purchased pretty vastly different sized discus and put them into the same tank. This means that the larger discus won't allow the smaller discus near the cones so the smaller ones get less food and become stunted. In your case you want to feed only what they will eat in 5-10 minutes, but you want that food to be spread out as much as possible so each fish gets their share. Thaw your frozen food before putting it into the tank to ensure this.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
right you purchased pretty vastly different sized discus and put them into the same tank
Nope, all purchased at the same size, and though there is slight difference they are all pretty much the same size. I got the at about 2", they are nearly 5" now. :)

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i think bs was talking about shawnu's discus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store