Discus keeping question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I took another video of them eating the breeder's homemade beefheart. Man, they love this stuff. I tried frozen brineshrimp, pellets and flakes, but they ignored them. They seemed to like the spectrum pellets but the 1mm is too big, will have to look
for 1/2 mm if they make that.

[video=youtube_share;TOIJqK_GVXw]http://youtu.be/TOIJqK_GVXw[/video]

http://youtu.be/TOIJqK_GVXw

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Yes, they look healthy and doing well.
Keep checking your params daily and do a large wc if there's any sign of ammonia, just as you said you did in an earlier post.
Re; the pics in post # 30 - the photo of the Sunrise just below the breeder's sign - it's shape seems a bit abnormal, but perhaps it's just the camera angle &/or shadowing. Note the nose and brow/forehead area.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Incredibly, I found a local breeder in my hometown and he has some Red Melons for sale. So picked up 2 today! I think this completes my purchases and now have 6 little ones. I have 2 red melons, 3 blue snake skins and 1 golden sunrise.

Here's his link in case someone here is near Chicago.
http://www.gcca.net/classifieds/vie...h-america/12129-red-melon-discus#.VDc8iBY5O-c

Here are some pics of them

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

I find it interesting the difference in color. These are almost white and others I bought from the other breeder are orange. Is it the food? I think the red melons that I just bought were not fed beefheart because they didn't go nuts
over it like the first 4 I bought.

IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1580.JPG

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
The food likely has little to do with it, if anything.
It's pretty much a matter of genetics - parentage & grand parentage - I'm sure you get the picture.
Depends on the coloration & strain of the male & female parents, as well as that each of their parents.
On top of that, their coloration could change, to lighter or darker, as they mature and become adult.
All kinds of factors are at work here.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Very interesting!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

venugopal

AC Members
Sep 4, 2014
Oh My God I Just went Through the Website Which has been posted by you in the First Page God the Price is High for Fiches Compare to INDIA Where I Live,
Here Probably a 4" Blue Diamond will Cost some where between $10 to $12, No Wonder You Guys take Such Good care of Fishes, Even I Would have Done the Same if I had Paid So Much and I Did saw a Discus in the Website Prices @ $110.00, No Way that I would Ever buy that for that price in INDIA, that is ( 11,000 INR)
Just Order 2 Red cover, 2 red Melon, 1 Giant Flora and 1 Blue Diamond from a Know Supplier Will receive by Saturday Early Morning, Just Cant Hold Myself From Seeing them,

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Oh My God I Just went Through the Website Which has been posted by you in the First Page God the Price is High for Fiches Compare to INDIA Where I Live,
Here Probably a 4" Blue Diamond will Cost some where between $10 to $12, No Wonder You Guys take Such Good care of Fishes, Even I Would have Done the Same if I had Paid So Much and I Did saw a Discus in the Website Prices @ $110.00, No Way that I would Ever buy that for that price in INDIA, that is ( 11,000 INR)
Just Order 2 Red cover, 2 red Melon, 1 Giant Flora and 1 Blue Diamond from a Know Supplier Will receive by Saturday Early Morning, Just Cant Hold Myself From Seeing them,
You're very fortunate to get discus of that size for those prices.
I haven't seen discus priced that low since I lived in Singapore many years ago.
Here in Canada, we generally pay around $80. cdn. for a 4" discus.
Only 2" fish (or smaller) are available for $10.to $15.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
New question. Beefheart is the only food they will eat. How do I get them to eat 0.5 mm pellets? I won't keep a discus that won't. Help!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
I've found that discus need to try a new food first to even know that it's food. So you need to get them to at least try it.
There are a few things you can try to see if they'll give the pellets more than just a passing glance, and let them fall to the substrate:

- Mix some pellets in with some beef heart & see if that induces them to try some of the pellets.
- Don't feed them anything for a couple of days, then try small amounts of the pellets.
- Mix some finely diced fresh garlic in with the pellets. Discus seem to love the aroma & flavor of fresh garlic.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, a breakthrough today. Of the 3 flake foods I have (Fluval, Omega One andTetra color), 5 of the 6 ate the Fluval flakes. They seemed least interested in Omega One.

I've been putting in pellets with beefheart previously but today I presoaked the pellets in fresh garlic juice and put that in by themselves. They still totally ignored it. I tried it with Spectrum Grow, Spectrum Cichlid, and the pellets that the breeder gave me.

But today was a step in the right direction. I must have done about 5 WCs today! They seem to be getting to know me, they swim toward me when I get close to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store