Discus keeping question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, you're on the right track if you can get them to try any new foods. I mixed pellets &/or flake with the beloved beefheart mix. I also made a seafood mix (fresh clams, mussels, shrimp etc) for them & mixed in their favs. Early on I "trained" the discus to eat from my hand & they'd at least try anything I held, anything at all, plain shelled peas included. Daily small water changes to remove poo & uneaten food helped a ton when I didn't do a major WC, but that was rare...

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Oh My God I Just went Through the Website Which has been posted by you in the First Page God the Price is High for Fiches Compare to INDIA Where I Live,
Here Probably a 4" Blue Diamond will Cost some where between $10 to $12, No Wonder You Guys take Such Good care of Fishes, Even I Would have Done the Same if I had Paid So Much and I Did saw a Discus in the Website Prices @ $110.00, No Way that I would Ever buy that for that price in INDIA, that is ( 11,000 INR)
Just Order 2 Red cover, 2 red Melon, 1 Giant Flora and 1 Blue Diamond from a Know Supplier Will receive by Saturday Early Morning, Just Cant Hold Myself From Seeing them,
So $10 in India? What does a high school kid say working at a fast food joint make over there per hour?
If a person makes $10/hr here but $2/hr in India...

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Well, a breakthrough today. Of the 3 flake foods I have (Fluval, Omega One andTetra color), 5 of the 6 ate the Fluval flakes. They seemed least interested in Omega One.

I've been putting in pellets with beefheart previously but today I presoaked the pellets in fresh garlic juice and put that in by themselves. They still totally ignored it. I tried it with Spectrum Grow, Spectrum Cichlid, and the pellets that the breeder gave me.

But today was a step in the right direction. I must have done about 5 WCs today! They seem to be getting to know me, they swim toward me when I get close to the tank.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You're doin' good. Once they get over their fear and learn to associate you with food you'll have an easier time of it. They will learn that since you are the bringer of food, whatever you drop in the tank could be something to eat. Keep trying new stuff on them. Like humans, easier to try new food on them when little; once they get big they've already learned what they like and don't like.

Mark

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Garlic is huge for getting fresh or salt fish to eat. I use it in my hospital, for the one time I need it every two or so years, and it is a great all-around thing for fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store