Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I have never had any issues with compacted sand or it developing the toxic anoxic bacteria that produce the hydrogen sulfides. I think it is much rarer than most make it out to be and may have more to do with the type of sand used more than it being sand at all.

Mine are doing very well on daily to twice daily feeding of NLS exclusively. It is a truly complete and balanced diet and suggest everyone take a good look at it. There is an article/review of it in my blog in my signature as well as tons of information on their site.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Star Rider is correct in most of what he states. In the wild, discus are primarily detritavores during the dry season, and feed on a variety of plants, flowers and insects during the wet season. Much of their habitats are virtually devoid of plant life, due to the nutrient-poor water and other factors. Some do, as reptile stated, live among plants. Aquarium plants, depending on type and density, use nitrates from the water column; not enough to decrease maint. regimen, however.

The main problems that I've found with trying to grow out juvie discus in planted tanks are:

1) Once the juvie discus begin to establish their pecking order the subordinate fish are often chased away from the food and wind up hiding in the plants from the dominant fish. They seldom get enough food when this happens, and often wind up stunted.

2) Planted tanks are also, let's admit it, harder to keep clean than BB set-ups. A lot of waste and uneaten food can get trapped out of reach of syphons in densely planted tanks.

With that said, I've raised discus in both set ups. For experienced discus keepers I see no reason that discus can't be raised in planted tanks. For neophytes, however, I always recommend BB set ups.

As stated, keep their water warm and clean and give them enough nutritious food and they'll grow well in both conditions.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well said Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store