DIY 110 gallon reseal!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Technically correctly assembled panels need nothing more then that paper thin seal of silicone between them. In fact most high-end hand built glass tanks have no inner seal such as the older Oceanic tanks. My 17 year old 120 gal Oceanic has no inside-corner silicone sealed joints. Only the original seals between the overlapping panel is used for a cleaner look and my old Oceanic is still holding water. However if you do get a spot leak between the original panel joints, an inside corner seal will work to seal the leak without dismantling and give insurance against future panel joint leaks. In fact most low-end economy tanks add inside corner seals to insure against leaks in the mass production process. As long as the panel joint leak is not spreading, an inside corner seal is a great fix. However if the silicone between the panels which supports 90% of the structure load that holds the panels together continue to separate in a strait line or unzip, the entire tank could suffer a catastrophic failure where without warning a panel spontaneously separates regardless of new inside corner seals. This is rare but can happen with allot of age, a tank that has been left outside in the sun (UV damage), a tank that has experienced prolong support shifting or stress like on a moving floor (mobile home), or when force moved with significant water remaining in the tank. So if you notice a continued separation of just one panel joint seal longer then 6" especially at the bottom and separation seems to be growing! Better consider a complete panel separation and reseal, rare but it can happen..

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Thanks for the insite CWO, this tank has almost no silicone on the inside which did seem odd to me. The leak is just over the halfway point in the tank and it seemed to hold it until the water reached the very tip top brim of the tank then I noticed it. It was a pretty fast leak probably about 1" or so.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Invest in aquarium safe silicone.
Any number of on line suppliers stock it.
An Amazon.com search on - aquarium silicone - will turn a lot of choices. Go with one of the standard aquarium suppliers such as Perfecto or Marineland.

Anything other than labeled aquarium safe silicone is time and money foolish. If anything in big box store silicone causes a reaction weeks or months down the line, how are you going to feel about tearing out the silicone again and resealing with aquarium safe stuff?

If you should have to tear the tank down to panels, consider flipping the long sides. Glass has micro pores that fill with silicone. A Dow Corning engineer is a participant on another forum. He explained that the sheer strength of joints using new glass is partly due to those micro pores. Cleaning glass with razor blades can not empty those pores. Nothing can. If you reverse the glass panels so the new joint is to the glass that used to be on the outside, the joint will be more secure.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So the scratches are really bugging me, so yest I emailed a ton of glass shops and got a quote from one for $150 for a 48"x30" piece of 1/2" thick glass. Is that a good price and is it crazy to consider replacing the whole side for $150 when I paid onlg $200 for the whole set up? Lol I kinda figure $350 for a 110 with a flawless viewing side + all that other stuff I got isnt that bad....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
So the scratches are really bugging me, so yest I emailed a ton of glass shops and got a quote from one for $150 for a 48"x30" piece of 1/2" thick glass. Is that a good price and is it crazy to consider replacing the whole side for $150 when I paid onlg $200 for the whole set up? Lol I kinda figure $350 for a 110 with a flawless viewing side + all that other stuff I got isnt that bad....

Why can't you just use the 'back' of the aquarium as the front and just paint the scratched side?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd live with it and just do an interior re-seal instead of busting all the panels apart.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yea I guess... I just hope once its up and running that the fish/plants/decor will make them less noticable. I just found out that the magnum 350 canister filter that came with it works so thats a little plus lol

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
If you can feel the scratches they are too big to take out completely. If you really want to try and take them out go to a glass shop and ask for some jeweller's rouge. It is a reddish powder. Get a buffing wheel for a drill, spray it with water and then dip it into the powder. Spray the glass with water and then apply the wheel. You will have to keep applying water as the wheel heats up and dries out. Push really hard and expect to spend amount of time on it. It will distort the view of the glass a bit but it will remove small scratches. You can also check out youtube. There are better, quicker products out there but they are more money. The stuff from the glass shop you should be able to get fairly cheap as you will only need about a 1/4 cup.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I begun stripping the silicone today, its not as bad as I thought but I have a question, since im just doing an inside reseal what silicone do I leave? heres a pic of what Iv left so far

uploadfromtaptalk1339091956008.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store