DIY 110 gallon reseal!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
you just don't want to take the silicone inbetween the panels out. If I'm right, that is done by pushing in too far with the razor

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
yea thats what im trying not to do, though i have nicked it a few times here and there. will that be a problem? Its in no way removed but i drove the razor a little into in a few small places i think

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
yea thats what im trying not to do, though i have nicked it a few times here and there. will that be a problem? Its in no way removed but i drove the razor a little into in a few small places i think
There's going to be no way to know if it's a problem until you fill it up and test it.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I use a long bladed box cutter or wide 4" scraper razor and just keep the blade cutting adjacent to the panels using them as a guide never cutting into the corner intersect between the panels. Like cutting off trim rather then stabbing with a steely knife, easy. I also have a 210 long tank (7ft) I picked up for $120. The owner had it for months on the garage floor to reseal and had already dug out a 2 inch section inside and between the panels almost to the outside, it also had a big circular chip at the bottom and some deep scratches on the glass from a dog. I just did an inside cut and reseal which included filling in the 2" dug out section. Then I just built a stand for it and filled it, that was a year and a half ago and I hav now gotten used to the two deep circle scratched in the middle and can hardly see it anymore lol.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well in the past few days I have removed all the silicone, now I am getting that very, very (very lol) fine residue off of it. Its really difficult! So far I have completely removed it from all of the verticle areas since there was very little of it and did a little of the bottom and stopped for the day. But good news is itll probably take me and hour or two to remove the residue and then clean it off with alc, then im good to reseal!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I resealed the tank yesterday, going to wait 5 days or so to fill it up and test it. I put a ton of silicone on in an attempt to have this be a one time deal particularly on the bottom area just to be safer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Make sure you wait long enough to dry out the silicone and test fill it for a few days before moving the tank into living space.

I hate to tell you one horror story happened to my fish friend many years ago. He bought a used 500 gal tank that measured 8'x4'x2'. There was one boo boo though, a small chip on one edge, so he resealed it with silcone. I didn't know how he did it, whether he removed the old seal and ressealed it, or he just added an inside reinforcement seal. I didn't know how long he waited for the silicone to dry out, but I did know he didn't test fill it, just filled up 500g of water right away in his family room. The **** tank is so heavy that it needs 4 people to lift it, so moving in and out for test filling isn't an easy task. He spent the whole evening setting up the tank and transferring dozens of his priced Affican cichlids from his old tanks into the 500g tank. It took him till midnight to get done and he was so happy that the tank was holding water and looked fantastic. So he went to bed with great relief. But in the middle of the night around 3:00 am, he heard a dam break and 500g of water, fish, gravel and rock gushed out of one side of the tank that yielded. Some furniture was literally floating. There was nothing he could do to stop it, except to rescue his fish that were bouncing on the floor and transfer them back to his old tanks. The rescue mission was done till day break and he still had to go to work shortly afterward with no sleep. He and I lived in West Palm Beach, FL at that time, so it's not too far away from you. Soon after the acident, he gave up his fish keeping hobby.

It's a lesson that buying big old tank is not necessarily a bargain, but potentially a big liability if you don't thoroughly test it out.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
yea I always test fill the tanks at the edge of my garage for just that reason! Thats how I knew it had a leak. I resealed last wednesday, let it cure for 5 days, just filled it up and it holds! Now im going home for the summer so this tank will be "test filled" for about 8 weeks lol. Im just happy that my first reseal ever was sucessful (so far). The seams arnt pretty by any means but they are stable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1340049502349.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1340049568068.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com