DIY Slate wall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Looks awesome bk828! Very nice job!!! I know I said it before, but it pays to leave the top pieces free (not glued down). That way they can be removed to tie plants to if you choose to do so.

Man mellow, if you cut and grind stone in your house, anywhere, you'd be better off sleeping outside! That's a LOT of dust :eek: I didn't grind any but I cut my slate. A LOT of dust!!!

-beviking :D

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Yup i didnt glue the top as instructed.
But one error i did make is use the pink styrofoam.. its too dense and isnt very stable due to the thickness of it and the weight of the stones not being heavy enough.. what i will need to do is cut out a hole on the bottom of the styro to glue a few stones in place to help keep it down.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Update..
I scooped out the bottom of the styrofoam and will glue a few stones to the bottom to prevent it from floating up..

I also decided to make another wall to give the tank some balance as well.. (the stones are already made and are drying off from the boil)
Heres a picture of the tank layout i made, the white is the tanks area..

Both walls will come together to either a coconut shell cave or another cave i can make out of the slate.. will see what works

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
nope it all will be covered by gravel

The front of the tank will have 1.5"-2" of gravel and the back will have 2.5"-3"
still. . . they won't dig or anything? and like the styrofoam won't melt and release toxins into the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store