do eclipse hoods work or are they junk?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Michael G said:
is there a way to save on media its expensive!!!!
Lol, buy the 3 pack. ;)

That's how I cut back on cartridge replacement costs. Also, I reuse my filter pads. When I do weekly water changes, I just rinse the pad out under the sink at full blast. If you use a garden hose with a high pressure attachment, that will work better. Then I replace it with a new one at the end of the month.

You will be killing whatever bacteria there may be on the pad, but there's still plenty of bacteria living on the biowheel and the gravel/decorations/plants etc...

HTH,
Serg

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I have the eclipse 3 on my 29g. I have mixed feelings Current is a little strong, light (even with the double tubes) is woefully inadequate for growing plants, but the filtration is great. Forget using thier cartridges (riiiip offffff). I use a universal sponge filter pad in the first 3/4 of the tray (use a rock to hold it on the bottom) that gets rinsed at water changes, and then I but some ployester filter floss stuffed in a filter bag at the end of the try (careful, if you don't place it just right it will cause water to overflow down the back of the tank). I estimate that $3.59 worth of quilt batting from wal-mart should last me about a year (how's that for cutting filter costs). All in all, it saves you some money (light and filter combined), but allows very little customization options (no room to use a second filter). Ohh, one more good thing, it does look great.

But really these hoods only have adequate filtration for a small bioload due to the filters design.
Could you explain this. The filter moves a ton of water,and the filter tray has at least as much room as hang-on-back filters built for similar size tanks.

FirstDsent

Registered Member
Feb 11, 2005
Modify your Eclipse to outperform all others.

With the Eclipse, a simple modification can save you big money, allow you to change floss or chemical as frequently as you want, and let you customize the chemical filtration for your needs. The improved filtration will easily surpass any hang-on filter for your size tank. Further, The bio wheel is universally admired for uncomplex systems, and can't be matched by the tiny amount of ceramic media in hang-ons.

I have an eclipse 1 hood on an 18G. tank. I've had it up for years. The nice thing about the Eclipse hoods, is that you can reuse the filter cartridges that Marineland sells for them and improve their performance tremendously.

The filter cartridges in Eclipse hoods are installed horizontally instead of vertically as in most hang-on type filters. You can't do the following with ANY hang-on unit that I know of.

Note: unplug or turn off the pump when changing out the custom filter, or you'll spew carbon into your tank.

Keep a couple of used cartridges, then stop buying them. Peel the thin, wimpy blue filter floss off of the sturdy plastic basket. Keep the basket. Discard the stingy carbon supply, and scrape as much as the glue off the basket as you can. Buy a yard or so of thick blue filter floss from your LFS. Most good stores sell them for wet/dry filters. Even PetSmart has it in plastic wrapped bundles. Place the basket upside down on the floss, and cut around it to make a new filter. For the cost of one Marineland cartridge, a package of floss will make at least 20 new filters. Fill the basket with new chemical media mixture (carbon, phosphate remover, ammonia remover, etc.). Place it in the hood and cover it with the floss. You can pack the filter with many times the media that Marineland does. This can be especially handy when removing medication from your tank. You can let it run for a day, then replace the carbon without throwing away the floss.

Note: The new floss will stay down fine and the carbon will stay in place, but because it is thicker than the Marineland floss, it will probably stick above the water in the filter section of the hood. This is actually a benefit. The pump will spew debris over the first inch or so of the filter at first. When that area of the filter becomes clogged, the waterflow will run over it and extend to a fresh area of the filter. When it gets halfway across, turn the floss around and start from the other end. This keeps the entire filter from getting clogged if you stir up the tank. Don't let it go more than a couple of weeks, or it will start releasing organics back into the tank. I have a heavily planted tank, so my filter gets a lot more gunk than it did when I had plastic plants. I'm not sure I would have gone to live plants without this modification.

The only thing I don't like about Eclipse hoods, is the very limited access for eqiupment -just a small gap at one end for a heater. There's no place for an air manifold, or any external equipment. Because of this limitation, I don't recommend them for reef use.

Good luck
FirstDsent@isp.com

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Could you explain this. The filter moves a ton of water,and the filter tray has at least as much room as hang-on-back filters built for similar size tanks.
Since the pad lays horizontally, when it gets clogged the water just runs across the top, and there's lots of bypass. If you have a large bioload the pads will get clogged very rapidly.

If left too long, hang-on filter pads will get clogged and bypass will occur as well, but it will occur much faster in the Eclipses' filter.

Hmm, those mod's sound pretty interesting. I think I'll have to try them out.

Serg

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
im even more confused since i have no idea what they are like inside. ill have to see what they are like. so do you guys think i should buy the 30g with the hood,stand,driftwood and gravel for a 100$?is this the best i can get for my money?if the lighting sucks than the plants wont fare well at all. by the way im getting them at www.aquariumplants.com its really awesome site. im ttrying to see if they willl ship to canada

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Since the pad lays horizontally, when it gets clogged the water just runs across the top, and there's lots of bypass. If you have a large bioload the pads will get clogged very rapidly.
Ok i'll agree with that. My original cartridge only lasted about 3 weeks, and when it got clogged, and the water did start to get cloudy. Haven't had that problem since switching to sponge and filterfloss. Bio-filtration has got to be great though. With as much water as that pump moves over the bio-wheel.

Funny story. I tried to clean the original filter like you do, but must not have done a very good job (I just loosened the gunk up). when i started the filter after a water change it flushed the foulest mix of crud right into my tank. I was FREAKING OUT!! The fish loved it of course and had a feeding frenzy on those little white worms that sometimes get blown out of you filter. My Cacatuoides spawned the very next day.

Michael, sounds like a good deal except for the fact that you want to grow plants. Check into that retrofitting kit that was mentioned. I am able to grow some low light stuff with the factory lights, I just don't have a real jungle. Definately take a look at the insides. When you first see it in action it seems like it wouldn't even work. Alot of the water by-passes the mechanical filtration, but it still keeps my water as clear as any HOB filter would. All in all, out of five *
Filtration****
Lighting*** (its still better than a single fllourescent tube)
Style*****

Last edited:

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
i wonder i amazon swords would grow?. i could go forr anubia,java fern and moss if the lighting sucks. since its a hight tank i could try some vlas.im not gonnna modify the hood i have a tendency to break things i try to fix. if i buy thse really strong 40watt bulbs i wonder if i could grow something nice

melonie

AC Members
May 7, 2005
I have an Eclipse System 6 which I use for new arrivals. Actually, the performance of this very simple filter is very impressive ... IF you never ever allow the horizontal filter surface to clog to the point where water simply runs over the top and bypasses the filter. If/when that happens, it starts a snowball rolling downhill effect which will allow your tank to turn really ugly in a surprisingly short period of time. One time I was forced to travel out of town for 3 days on short notice and asked a neighbor to watch my tanks. By the time I came home (3 days later), the tank was green and cloudy, the pump intake and impeller housing were 3/4 ths plugged, the filter flow was next to nothing, the biowheel had stopped turning - all because excess feeding had coated the blue filter material and caused the flow to bypass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store