do these rocks look safe for my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I wouldn't worry too much...but I don't know what that is. It looks like the mineral formations would not allow chemicals to leak out into your water, but I'm in history, not geology.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Funny, that reminds me, I found a dead animal by the side of the road. I don't really know what it is, but I'm going to feed it to my dog. I know I could wait a day or 2 and spend $3 to find out if it would be safe for my dog to eat, but I paid less than $10 for my dog, and can just go buy a new one if it dies.

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
and any suggestions on what to re-arrange is nice also. i am not so great at aqauscaping

and yes fishy, i suppose thats great. i am glad you are enjoying being sarcastic. i will end up buying vinegar to see if the rocks fizz, just for you.

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I'm just not sure why you would ask a question such as "is this safe?" get a few answers, then just do it anyways. I really have a problem with the fact that fish don't scream when they die. The only deciding factor in the value of their life is the amount of money people spend on them. Would it have really hurt to wait a day or two? I have a couple gallons of vinegar, it's pretty cheap. At the very least, if you don't care if the fish die or not, just make a post about the new rocks you got.

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
I'm just not sure why you would ask a question such as "is this safe?" get a few answers, then just do it anyways. I really have a problem with the fact that fish don't scream when they die. The only deciding factor in the value of their life is the amount of money people spend on them. Would it have really hurt to wait a day or two? I have a couple gallons of vinegar, it's pretty cheap. At the very least, if you don't care if the fish die or not, just make a post about the new rocks you got.

well i trust the people on here, and i didnt get any hesitant answers. and they're rocks...if they were harmful to my tank, or did adjust the PH, it wont happen overnight. it'd be a gradual thing. its not like im pouring a chemical into my tank and seeing a immediate reaction from it. i do care about my fish, but i also work 50-70hr weeks, and this was my last day off and was excited to do a tank overhaul.

now if vinegar will suffice, then i will do that test. however if its needed to get a PH test kit, then i will do that. but i really wanted to get my tank done..and i know every animal will be alright until i can confirm.

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
So I did some research and apparently the first bottle for the nitrate test kit is a great way to test for pH and carbonates. I ended up putting one of the smaller rocks in my 6g tank in my bedroom, so I pulled that one out to do the test.

It fizzled. Just a little bit.. But it did. And I could hear it =(. I will do the test on the bigger rocks tomorrow.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
So I did some research and apparently the first bottle for the nitrate test kit is a great way to test for pH and carbonates. I ended up putting one of the smaller rocks in my 6g tank in my bedroom, so I pulled that one out to do the test.

It fizzled. Just a little bit.. But it did. And I could hear it =(. I will do the test on the bigger rocks tomorrow.
Way to make me feel like an ***. I could have told you that. And if it's just a little it might not be too bad. Maybe a bucket test would give a better idea.

Just got done trying to re-home 2 different tanks because I told some people I rescued one, and they wanted me to do the same for them. Was on a tirade about people not caring for fish, and I took it out on the wrong person. My apologies are offered, and I hope, well received.

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
Don't worry about it! I am just the same when I hear someone say they have a 55 gallon with a "school of 5 rummies" and then 3 other various "schools" of fish.

It did fizz. But it was weird.. It's like when the liquid ran off onto certain parts of the rock it would fizz. Not the whole thing. How do i do this other water test?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store