Does a pond need a filter? How do you cycle ponds?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Mosquitoes will definietly make it through that. you need something the size of window screen to keep them out.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I have 2 outdoor in-ground ponds (both lined). One is 7' x 9' and about 22 inches deep. The other is 9' x 9' and almost 36 inches deep. I don't have a filter on either pond. The smaller pond has a water fall and I do have lava rock in the catch basin for some bio material. I have a ton of plants in both. The larger pond has a 20 foot creek that lead to a water fall - no lava rock in this one. I used a filter the first year in the smaller pond but had to clean it so often that I finally just jerked it out and let the plants/waterfall do their work. My water is crystal clear and has been for years. I don't have a lot of fish but have goldies and koi in the larger pond and just a few goldies in the smaller (guppies go in when it warms up). Both ponds have been up and running for over 5 years - do what you are comfortable with but if you have over 50% of your pond planted and some way to move water (I like a water fall) I would skip the filter and just enjoy your pond and all your critters.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
If the pond is big enough, and lightly stocked then it doesn't need a filter, but you are talking about a seriously big pond for just a few fish. I had 5 feeder goldfish in a small swimming pool years ago. Nothing else, just a pool of water. They grew huge and lived there for about 3 years until we removed the pool.

But for a more sane sized pond, yes you want some sort of filtering, even it's it's just a cheap fountain pump and a bucket of scoria rocks as filter media.

Ian

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for your help. Since I'll be able to have more fish with a filter I think I've decided on not having an actual filter, but have a sack thing full of filter media and lava rocks on the bottom of the pond. Plus lots of plants, and a pump of course, which is pretty high power (got a couple of pool pumps that may work but they might be too strong, I'll have to see). Or I might use a fountain if I can find one for cheap.

davcheng

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
I had a tub pond with no aeration and no filter. I've been setting it up for the past three years with NO problems. Lots of plants for filtration, a couple of white cloud minnows to keep the mosquitoes at bay. The minnows breed every year.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I had a tub pond with no aeration and no filter. I've been setting it up for the past three years with NO problems. Lots of plants for filtration, a couple of white cloud minnows to keep the mosquitoes at bay. The minnows breed every year.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that maybe after I had this pond set up and going for awhile I might try another pond with fish other than goldfish. Goldfish are so messy that I imagine its best to have some sort of filtration/aeration. But yeah, I was thinking rosy reds or American flagfish with just a bunch of plants. Only problem is making sure I have enough tank space in the house for winter... although I suppose American flagfish could survive here, they're native here and it barely even gets in the 20s in the winter here.

What do you do for algae in ponds? My dad is worried the pond will just be filled with algae and a lot of trouble... goldfish eat algae, don't they? Do they only eat certain types? I know American flags eat algae, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to have them in with goldfish (probably only commons/comets/shubs cause fancies will need to be taken indoors in the winter) since they can be territorial/aggressive sometimes, especially when breeding.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Maybe this is quibbling but I would not describe your setup as a pond. To my mind a pond is a hole in the ground with water in it. Even if it has a liner on the bottom to prevent all the water soaking out, it has interaction with the surrounding ground at the edges. Plants grow up and out; dirt blows in with the wind or erodes in from the rain. Etc.

You are essentially setting up a big metal fishtank that just happens to be outside. I would do everything as you would in any other tank, scaled up to suitable proportions for the volume.

(I have hopes of doing the same, although with concrete block rather than a stock tank. Was inspired by the one from the ACer in KY last year....was that ponderingKy? my brain is a steel...sieve these days. Haven't seen him around lately anyway.)
Your talking about Mike aka PittBull on here. You could easily find him in the South/Central American Cichlid Forum. Me Mike and Nano talk alot on there.

If you guys need help with a filter for a pond then Im sure he would be more then willing to help you guys out with a good DIY filter.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
an above ground pond in 20 degree weather will likely freeze solid. no fish can live through that... if it is constant sub freezing temps like that in the winter you will need indoor space for the goldies as well.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah but I live in a warm place, it never snows.

Well since the stock tank is dangerous I've decided on a preformed plastic pond with a pump and waterfall that I'll probably get in a few days, if the owners will take my offer on it :) Its actually probably better and my parents would much rather get this anyway. The only prob is its probably not even 200g so once the golds outgrow it I'll use it for American flagfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store