Does a pond need a filter? How do you cycle ponds?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
galvanized steel is steel coated with zinc. zinc is an essential ion to all life forms, but high levels of zinc are toxic to algae, plants, many inverts, and some fish. it takes VERY high levels of zinc to be toxic to the higher vertebrates -- a percent of your body weight would make you very sick; it has happened, e.g by eating lots of pennies, but it's hard to get there.

zinc on steel is pretty stable (that's what it's there for), and i would doubt the fish would have a problem unless your water is very salty or acid, so try to keep the pH above 7. algae, worms, and snails will probably not do well

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
^Yeah, so I decided I'm just getting the preformed pond instead. Probably picking it up tomorrow.

Will it take 4+ weeks to cycle like with a tank? Or even longer? I'm using lava rock and a big strip of filter media for the bacteria to live in, and the pond comes with a pump and waterfall.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
The pond will take time to cycle, but because it's so big, compared to a small aquarium, you can just add a few small goldfish and leave them too it.

By the time they start to grow bigger, the system will have cycled to support the increased waste.

Ian

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
you might speed it up by putting your water change water from your existing aquarium into it
Good idea! I'll do that. It would be better with poop and stuff that is in the water when you gravel vac, right? Because I know that the water doesn't have much bacteria in it.

The pond will take time to cycle, but because it's so big, compared to a small aquarium, you can just add a few small goldfish and leave them too it.

By the time they start to grow bigger, the system will have cycled to support the increased waste.
Really, cool!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have 2 outdoor in-ground ponds (both lined). One is 7' x 9' and about 22 inches deep. The other is 9' x 9' and almost 36 inches deep. I don't have a filter on either pond. The smaller pond has a water fall and I do have lava rock in the catch basin for some bio material. I have a ton of plants in both. The larger pond has a 20 foot creek that lead to a water fall - no lava rock in this one. I used a filter the first year in the smaller pond but had to clean it so often that I finally just jerked it out and let the plants/waterfall do their work. My water is crystal clear and has been for years. I don't have a lot of fish but have goldies and koi in the larger pond and just a few goldies in the smaller (guppies go in when it warms up). Both ponds have been up and running for over 5 years - do what you are comfortable with but if you have over 50% of your pond planted and some way to move water (I like a water fall) I would skip the filter and just enjoy your pond and all your critters.
I agree with this. I installed a couple dozen ponds over the years and filtration is not necessary in every case. Moving the water somehow like a waterfall or stream is often all you need. I always heavily planted my ponds and stocked them lightly.

Mark

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I run an above ground 5 x 10 water garden and a 6 x6 marsh garden without filters or pumps . They have purge systems built in, powered by collected rainwater.. In fact the 5x10 was originally built as a rainwater reservoir for my aquariums. Couldn't resist putting plants and fish in it so is useless as a reservoir lol
I have a terrific advantage as I live in s. florida so no snow or ice to contend with so the system can operate all year, overflow goes to a meadow garden .
For the "normal" pond keeper I'd highly recommend a filter system Especially if you want to keep fish. Seems a must as there is no other way to control mosquitoes .
Check out some of the DIY "skippy" filters Cheap to build and maintain and will greatly improve water quality for minimal expense. gary

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
I've kept a few small above ground ponds that don't have pumps or filters. I maintain them by keeping them lightly stocked, well planted, doing regular water changes(I use the water to water gardens) and regularly removing any organic gunk the settles on the bottom. I would never have gravel or anything on the bottom that would trap leaves and poo that could rot and stagnate the water.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for the replies :)

I got the pond, its a bit bigger than I expected. Probably about 200 gallons, maybe more. I'll have to measure. I'm going to have a net over it, have it underground, have a lot of plants, it has a waterfall and pumps so it has water movement, and I'll have some lava rocks on the water fall and in the pond so the bacteria has something to live in. I think it'll work well, and with the lava rock it kinda has filtration.

For when I fill it up and whenever I need to add water, do I add water conditioner?

And when is the earliest that I can put goldfish in the pond? I live in Florida so its not very cold out in Feb/March but there are some random cold days, then it goes back to 70s/80s. They will be baby goldfish, 1-2 inches.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store