Does this guppy look like a platy/guppy mix?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Here is a new photo. The photo doesn't do the markings justice. By the way, one of the smaller muppies that I thougth was a female was apparently a late blooming male. His coloration is just barely starting.

Safe Harbor 09 025.JPG

Edj05

The Kraken
Nov 29, 2008
New Jersey
Man, I want to make some gollies. :rolleyes: Nice looking fish.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
hmm i never even thought about mollies and guppies breeding. Tho i guess it kind of explains the few females that i have that look like the pic, and not like the rest of the guppy ladys who are conciderably smaller lol.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I would have never thought it.....
This is very interesting and he's a pretty fish.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Very nice looking fish. Not to hijack your thread, but here is a photo of someone else's molly/guppy hybrid from another forum. Interesting how the limia-like bars appear on this fish, like they do on your's.
Care to link where you found this Edj?

B.Greene, Please keep us updated on the progress of these fish. Really interesting stuff!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Keep in mind that the mother of this fish was a guppy, not a molly. A reverse in roles could create a completely different looking fish.
Actually would be pretty close the exactly the same looking fish. A molly F x guppy M or guppy F x molly M hybrid has the same nuclear DNA components when crossed. The only difference is the cytoplasmic DNA that is passed on from the maternal parent. This has a very small amount of DNA and is mainly for encoding metabolic proteins.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
I looked this morning and the younger hybrid is also beginning to show the barred vertical stripes and some coloring on the fin and tail. The younger was born by the same mother, most likely with stored sperm from the first batch of fry.

I want to see if they can reproduce but right now they are with all males. Not sure if I should introduce them to female guppies or mollies. What do you all think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store