Does this guppy look like a platy/guppy mix?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
I have two other born to this same mother guppy one month later. They, too, look far different than any male guppy I have ever had. Do you all think they are guppy/molly mixes aas well? One is in the upper left and the other lower right. The fish I posted earlier is mid right. (the other fish are two platies and some raspbora)
Let me know your thoughts...

Molly-Guppy Mix 001.JPG

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
Could you please post pictures of your platies? If that's them in the photograph shown here, I question whether or not they are actually golden mollies.

I'm suspecting you've found yourself some muppies. They resemble very much that of a silver molly. This speculation is why many skeptics request these pairings to be:

1) virgin female
2) controlled environment

This way, you know without a doubt whom fathered the fry. Since this was an unintentional spawn, the confusion is understood. Don't expect an absolute answer to your question. With that said, congratulations on your beautiful fish!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
The male platy is in the original posted photo (I accidently posted it instead of the crossbreed). I am quite sure they are twin bar platy. Do you think the other two fish in the photo I just posted are muppies as well? All three were born 4-5 months ago. It sounds as if it is pretty shocking that they have survived this long!

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
Oh, okay, they are platy, not golden molly, shown in the photograph.

The first cross picture you showed has a fish with black eyes w/yellow tail whereas the fish in the new photo exhibit silver eyes w/blue tail. What I find interesting about the 3 fish in question (new photograph) is that they exhibit very different coloration in their fins. In addition, the individual on the very bottom right looks to appear more creamsicle. Again, it's only speculation; I've never heard of a platy cross, but know for sure a molly cross does exist. The only person who could know the true answer is you, I'm afraid.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
The last picture was just taken today. The eyes are indeed large and black. The flash just made them reflect lighter. The largest fish is mostly yellowish, but the tail has a slight irridecent blue color from certain angles. The earlier photos were from a week ago. As I said earlier, they are just now beginning to color up. That is why I wanted to post a new photo.
I just made another discovery as I did a water change. The two smaller fish are actually female. The reason I had mistakenly sexed them as male was
1) I thought they were full guppies at the time
2) The two smaller ones did not display the gravid spot that the young female guppies show.

The largest fish is clearly male. It will be so interesting to see how the coloring ends up. One of the smaller ones is just beginning to show a couple tiny black spots on her body (I do have a mostly black dalmation molly). Alas, even I am not sure who the father was since I kept both cremesicle and black mollies. What I do know is that there were no male guppies for at least 5-6 months before the births and these babies are some strange looking mixes!!!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Updated Muppy Photos - 1-10-09

Here are the latest photos of the guppy/molly mix. I added some fancy male guppies to the tank yesterday and he is very interested in following them.

Tank Jan 10 002.JPG Muppy Jan 10 028.JPG Tank Jan 10 019.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store