Don't think a GFI outlet is necessary? Lemme tell you about my day...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I'm very glad that my wife was here and the house is still standing. We could have easily returned home to a smoldering heap of rubble. The 2 GFIs will be installed this weekend....until then I'm not leaving the house:). I'm also glad that she resisted her initial urge to grab the plug and yank it from the wall while standing in a puddle of saltwater.
The HOB skimmer is definitely on the way out....when it's in the sump I suppose it can overflow and not be an issue, at least this kind of issue. Now I'm eyeballing my HOB overflow with suspicion....
I know nuthin' about an APC UPS....but I think I had one for my computer at work a while back (it's the thing with the battery back up, right?) and it gave up and shorted itself and smelled remarkably like my house does right now.
I'm REALLY glad I decided to stop keeping my box full of oily rags and old fireworks next to the aquarium last week:D
Robbie
Robbie

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I'm REALLY glad I decided to stop keeping my box full of oily rags and old fireworks next to the aquarium last week:D
LOL. Now that you know everyone and everything is safe, you can look back and think and laugh if that statement were in fact true. Could you imagine fireworks shooting off around your wife as she tried to figure out how to stop all the chaos around her. Picturing it seems funny, actually happening definately would not be.

I don't want to down play your experience, it was definately bad, and worse than mine, but I had a similar one. My overflow backed up once, causing my tank to overflow. I had the powerstrip underneath and safe, but it was plugged into an outlet directly behind the tank. The water ran down the wall, since my hang on overflow was touching the wall, and right into the outlet making nice sparks. Luckly I was about 2' away at my computer and heard this going on behind me and was able to stop it before things got worse.

You know, I have dealt with a few "blown" APC Battery Backups over the years as well, but it was always because of lack of maint on the unit, ie, not replacing the batteries when your supposed to. I do replace the batteries once a year in mine. This was one of those "perks" working in IT for a company that went out of business. I got the keep most of the networking and server equipment, this included serveral APC units as well as about 50 replacement batteries to go with them.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
LOL. Now that you know everyone and everything is safe, you can look back and think and laugh if that statement were in fact true. Could you imagine fireworks shooting off around your wife as she tried to figure out how to stop all the chaos around her. Picturing it seems funny, actually happening definately would not be.

I don't want to down play your experience, it was definately bad, and worse than mine, but I had a similar one. My overflow backed up once, causing my tank to overflow. I had the powerstrip underneath and safe, but it was plugged into an outlet directly behind the tank. The water ran down the wall, since my hang on overflow was touching the wall, and right into the outlet making nice sparks. Luckly I was about 2' away at my computer and heard this going on behind me and was able to stop it before things got worse.

You know, I have dealt with a few "blown" APC Battery Backups over the years as well, but it was always because of lack of maint on the unit, ie, not replacing the batteries when your supposed to. I do replace the batteries once a year in mine. This was one of those "perks" working in IT for a company that went out of business. I got the keep most of the networking and server equipment, this included serveral APC units as well as about 50 replacement batteries to go with them.
Glad yours wasn't any worse too....it's disturbing to think about something that is so relaxing to watch could have potentially burnt the house down.
You're...uhh....supposed to change the batteries? oops....found the problem. I just made 'em buy me a laptop.
Robbie

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Ace25; I don't believe a UPS, as such, provides any GFI function at all. They are for traditionally non-GFI applications so that might be why.

You can buy inexpensive GFI "cord warts" that you plug into the UPS outlet then plug your stuff into that.

BTW: I hope you aren't running heaters and lights with your UPS as they will suck it dry quickly leaving you with no flow, etc.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My tank consumes 279w in power. About the same as a computer/ CRT monitor idle. 144w in lights, 60w in pumps, and 75w heater.

With a APC 2000 (1400w) UPS I can run my tank with the lights for over 20 minutes. Usually when power has gone out it comes back before then, or is in the night when the lights are off and then I get about an hour with the battery.

I also have a 5000w generator in the garage that I have had to use 2 times in 6 years to power my tank as well as my downstair neighbor's 75G tank.

Thanks for the info on the GFI aspect. I kind of thought that was the case by reading the manual.. I guess I should have known since it didn't say GFI anywhere that it wasn't. I guess I will just install a GFI outlet as well when I get a chance even though the outlet is about 10' away and slightly uphill from the tank. Better safe than sorry as this thread clearly points out.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
Thats crazy bro, thankfully your wife was there. Electrical fires are bad as they can run through the walls. Quick thinking on your wifes part saved the day. I'm going away this weekend for 3 days and was thinking of all the things that could go wrong, but I never thought of this. Def going to get a GFI tomorrow. Something like this.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TW39013.html
So I can sleep while I'm away. Good luck with the installation this weekend.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
animalman; Just remember if that device is what gets water in it... T'will make no difference. LOL

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Thats crazy bro, thankfully your wife was there. Electrical fires are bad as they can run through the walls. Quick thinking on your wifes part saved the day. I'm going away this weekend for 3 days and was thinking of all the things that could go wrong, but I never thought of this. Def going to get a GFI tomorrow. Something like this.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TW39013.html
So I can sleep while I'm away. Good luck with the installation this weekend.
Thanks...I will get the GFI in. Fortunately the outlet did not get scorched...I was concerned on my way home that maybe it had done some damage in the wall, but it's ok.
Robbie

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I'm assuming power was cut completely to the tank -- was any of the livestock harmed?

Man, that's a scary incident! :eek3:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store