Don't think a GFI outlet is necessary? Lemme tell you about my day...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
You should have EVERYTHING around a tank running on a GFI. Do not isolate anything from a GFI. Especially things in the water like heaters.

The purpose is to save your life :shocked: and in some cases like wantvws's it would've prevented any smoking damage and prevented the likely house fire that would've occurred if his sharp mate hadn't been there.

I have had my tanks running for more than a decade and never had the GFI "accidentally trip". If it is tripping accidentally you have a device with defective levels of leakage that should be found and removed. If the GFI trips because of power fluctuations or lightning then so be it! There is a very good possibility it's tripping would prevent over voltages from nailing some of your equipment and rendering it into junk.

GFI GFI GFI every one chant with me GFI :thm::thm::thm:
The only thing I can say is I've been an electrician since 87 and they DO trip accidently. It's not uncommon during a storm for a small ground interuption to happen which is fairly close to your area. You could have 3 GFI's and one could trip. Can't tell you how many people can't figure out why they have no power on 1 line and all the breakers are on. You should just have something that lets you know if it happens.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
The only thing I can say is I've been an electrician since 87 and they DO trip accidently. It's not uncommon during a storm for a small ground interuption to happen which is fairly close to your area. You could have 3 GFI's and one could trip. Can't tell you how many people can't figure out why they have no power on 1 line and all the breakers are on. You should just have something that lets you know if it happens.
I have several GFIs in my house, and have had them trip for some unknown reason on occasion...but the tank is right in the middle of my living space so if they do go off accidentally I should know pretty quick. I'll look into an alarm, though. Thanks for the idea.
I'm assuming power was cut completely to the tank -- was any of the livestock harmed?
Surprisingly nothing but the power strip was wrecked...and the fish are fine. A little freaked out, but they came out of hiding after a couple of hours. I guess the lights went out and the current stopped suddenly, maybe they thought it was the end of the world..."Oh My God!!! The ocean stopped!"
Robbie

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Boltster; I agree. I have had to troubleshoot people's GFI trips, even my own, and go crazy wondering why no breaker has tripped but power has failed. Even to the point of crawling around attics with a DMM only to find the GFI outlet behind some furniture that is protecting a bunch of other outlets, sans the "GFI tag".

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It seems so obvious when reading your advice but I admit to thinking I was protected by the GFI outlet. I had not considered the alarm. I'm not familiar with what is available in that regard, do you have a recommendation for where to turn?

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
It seems so obvious when reading your advice but I admit to thinking I was protected by the GFI outlet. I had not considered the alarm. I'm not familiar with what is available in that regard, do you have a recommendation for where to turn?
I know a couple of years ago, Home Depot had one similar to the one on the link provided by 'kcress'. It was inexpensive but can be a"fishsaver". I personally don't use one because the only thing I have GFI protected are lights and powerheads. My filters and heater aren't. I use a ground probe to redirect any stray voltage. I'm a little fanatical so I even have a dedicated outlet in case I need to hook up my generator for a while. We've lost power for hours before, though the last 2 years has been fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store