Dorm Tank for the Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
A Biorb will work for what you want, it's just that they are overpriced for what you can actually keep in one.

I have a little all glass tank, it's about a 12" cube. Put a little internal filter in there, small heater and a 15w 'energy saver' flouro bulb in a desk lamp and you are good to go for low light plants.

Ian
well the moneys really no issue for me. i'd like to get a tank that i can use again though. plus i heard the the substrate kinda sux for that because its the only kind you can use

however looking at them all the pico blows away the competition...im a fan of salt and fresh so this could be great for later on down the road.

there has to be someway to cover this a bit without killing the light

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
there has to be someway to cover this a bit without killing the light
Sheet of perspex, slightly bigger than the tank top, with a cutout for the filter.

It may grow a bit of algae that blocks the light, but you can wipe it down each week as part of your normal cleaning.

All my tanks have plain glass lids, but it's tricky to cut them to weird shapes around HOB filters, perspex is easier to work with.

Ian

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
I have a betta in a tank with no lid. He does fine, and he is a jumper! Although, it's more of the betta's personaility. Some jump, others don't.

BTW, the only thing in his tank to ever get out is the snail. My betta jumps, but only for food or when he thinks I'm feeding him.

I like the pico though. It would be my choice. But then again I'm a fan of the open top aquariums. Using Plexiglas would work for the top. You can get some cut at home depot or lowes.

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
think there is someway i could test if he was a jumper or not?

id rather not have a betta on my desk lol. itd probably better if he stayed in the tank

to the guy with the tetra 3: do you have any live plants?

thats the thing i really like about the pico...the light looks legit and theres plent of floorspace.

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
Oh I just found an eclipse 5 corner. That might work. I'd have to measure but does anyone have one of these? Are they quite?

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Don't worry about the flow being too strong, you can adjust that by getting a piece of aquaclear filter foam and making a prefilter for the filter intake. Besides, I have an eclipse hex 5 and the flow isn't rough at all. Even with a good flow, there are still dead spaces in tanks where a betta can take a break.

Walmart sells a standard 5 gallon glass tank starter kit for about $30. Either that or the hex would work. I like the hex, but the "corners" cause some distortion when looking in them, but the small footprint is great for limited space applications, like a dorm room.

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
Don't worry about the flow being too strong, you can adjust that by getting a piece of aquaclear filter foam and making a prefilter for the filter intake. Besides, I have an eclipse hex 5 and the flow isn't rough at all. Even with a good flow, there are still dead spaces in tanks where a betta can take a break.

Walmart sells a standard 5 gallon glass tank starter kit for about $30. Either that or the hex would work. I like the hex, but the "corners" cause some distortion when looking in them, but the small footprint is great for limited space applications, like a dorm room.
good idea but i decided id like a wider tank than a taller so the hex is kinda tall.

if anyone has the tetra 3 is it 17 in tall?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store