dragonfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nolacola

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
i was wondering if anyone can give me any info on these fish (needs, max size, aggression, behavior, etc)? i saw them in a pet store today and am extremely curious about them but i have been unable to find any information online regarding them.

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
The Asian Arowana, AKA Dragon fish. Some info can be found here

Aren't Silver Arowanas also refered to as Dragonfish? :huh:

They get up to 3 feet long I hear, need a big tank for one of these.

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
You need several hundred gallons of water just for ONE.
Wow, you got room and money for such a "tank"?
The grow to lengths measured in "feet", not "inches".

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I believe nolacola is talking about the Violet Goby, otherwise sold under the name "South American Dragonfish"
They reach a size of about 2 feet in length, so would need a large tank...I would say 75 gallon absolute minimum.
They are not aggressive unless the bottom of the tank is overly crowded with too many bottom feeders...then they can infllct some nasty wounds on other fish as they have tiny sharp teeth.
Their eyesight is very poor, almost blind. You may have to target feed them with a turkey baster or something similar to get the food close to him so no other fish get to it first.
Violet Gobies are brackish water, meaning they need a higher salinity. You will have to mix marine salt in the water to get brackish conditions. I'm not sure what the salt to gallons ratio is though...varies depending on the tank size.
These guys eat live and frozen foods like, bloodworms, brineshrimp, beefheart etc. They are filter feeders, so they need a sandy substrate or a very fine gravel bottom, as they can choke on the gravel if it's too big to pass through their gills. Usually when they're good size, you shouldn't have to worry too much about that. They may eat smaller fish, but only if the smaller fish is dead or dying...their eyesight is far too poor for them to be able to hunt/chase anything down.
Don't keep these guys with aggressive fish as they tend to get picked on and harrassed since they just lay around for most of the day. Dragonfish are nocturnal, so most activity will be at night after lights out.
Try google for more info and look under the name Violet Goby.
Good luck and let us know if u have any other questions! :thm:

nolacola

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
thanks so much candycat for the great info...the violet goby is indeed the fish i saw in the store

You need several hundred gallons of water just for ONE.
Wow, you got room and money for such a "tank"?
The grow to lengths measured in "feet", not "inches".
dont be such a jerk. i was already aware that they got big i just didnt know how big. and yes i do have room and money for such a tank, theres an empty 125 gallon tank sitting in my living room right now.

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hey no problem :dance2: Glad I could help out. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with that empty tank and if you do indeed get the goby. :thm:
Candy

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
nolacola said:
dont be such a jerk. i was already aware that they got big i just didnt know how big. and yes i do have room and money for such a tank, theres an empty 125 gallon tank sitting in my living room right now.
Dude, grow some thicker skin.
If you got insulted by "advice" like that, you're going to whince when you really get flamed.

YOU could've started with a little bit more information.
"Dragonfish" is kinda a vague term, and even Xielos thought it was an arowana.

The fish you were talking about does get up to 2 feet, putting it in a 4 foot wide tank is not big enough IMNSHO...
It's your fish...

nolacola

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
you gave no advice. only one sentence that you wrote was intended as advice and it was incorrect, the rest of it was intended to be condescending and insulting.

i also had no other information to give, if i had i wouldnt have had to post here asking for help.

btw a standard 125 gallon aquarium is 6 feet wide not 4.

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
nolacola said:
the rest of it was intended to be condescending and insulting.
No, I didn't imply it to be condescending or insulting.
You inferred it to be.

btw a standard 125 gallon aquarium is 6 feet wide not 4.
I mentioned the "4 feet" because Candycat21 mentioned a 75G.
Even with a 6' wide 100+G tank, I'd still not put something that gets 2 feet in length, especially if it moves around a lot.
I don't know what that "goby" does normally, but putting a 2 foot long fish into a 6' wide tank is not something I would do personally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store