Dwarf CrayFish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I keep Dwarf Crayfish. They are less aggressive than other crayfish, but they will get into it with each other. I have Guppies in a tank with my crayfish and once in a while I will see one of the males fins a bit torn up. Large fish should have no problems with the crayfish. I have pictures at home. Here are some pictures.

This little guy pinched the fin of this CAE, but he is so big he didn't notice for a while.

This is how they mate. Sometimes one of the two loses a claw in the process.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
wow awesome pics and crayfish. do the babies survive in your tank? ive read it varies between species that the babies either go thru a planktonic stage or come out mini adults?

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The babies do fine in my tank. I've seen some of the adults die off, but I see little guys replace them. The females carry eggs until hatching. The newborns look like water fleas. I just have a ton of Java Moss in a ball currently that they crawl around in like a jungle gym.

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
:lipssealedsmilie:

So why not get a pretty one like a blue?
You may wonder that.. but no one has truely bred a blue. They may have blue tints and may change with age.. Someone on the petshrimp.com forums has been trying to breed a true blue for over a year.. they are close to blue!- Grayish/Dark Blue..

I'm in contact with someone who has some blues - not pure blue. I'm going to pick up some from them in the near future to breed myself! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store