Dwarf Gourami questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
Does anyone know anything about 'sparkling' gouramis? I saw some at the store tonight, but there was no info on how big they get. If they're dwarf I may get some, but I don't want them if they are going to get more than 2-3 inches.

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Sparkling gouramies stay really small.

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
I hope so, I bought 4. I was just gonna get three, but that would have left one in the tank all alone, so.....
They are pretty little buggers. When they go toward the back of the tank the light really shows off the blue/green. And they seem to really like their new home.

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
UncaBret said:
Do oto's eat anything besiseds algea?
Besiseds??? Someday maybe I'll learn to spell!

Anyway, my 20 high is set up and running, my plants are growing and my fish seem happy. I now have 4 dwarf sparkling gouramis and 5 oto's. I tried putting Ghoti in with them but he was not playing nice, so back to his own tank he goes. Too bad, he is sooooo beautiful under the flourescent light.

Anyhoo, I would like to add a few more DGs and maybe 2-3 ghost shrimp. Could I safely add 2-3 flame DGs and 2-3 striped DGs? Would 10 DGs, 5 oto's and 3 ghost shrimp be too much?

mrbigmuscles

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
michigan
UncaBret said:
Besiseds??? Someday maybe I'll learn to spell!

Anyway, my 20 high is set up and running, my plants are growing and my fish seem happy. I now have 4 dwarf sparkling gouramis and 5 oto's. I tried putting Ghoti in with them but he was not playing nice, so back to his own tank he goes. Too bad, he is sooooo beautiful under the flourescent light.

Anyhoo, I would like to add a few more DGs and maybe 2-3 ghost shrimp. Could I safely add 2-3 flame DGs and 2-3 striped DGs? Would 10 DGs, 5 oto's and 3 ghost shrimp be too much?
It is a 20g tank right? I go by about 1 ghost shrimp/gallon for my tanks. It seems like it would be crowded but they all find places to hide (and some get eaten anyways). 10 DG's sounds like a lot for a 20 high though.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
pbrack said:
yeah, like an opalline and a dwarf gourami?

I wouldn't put an opaline gourami in a 20 tall, they're on the large side for that tank. Stick with color varieties of dwarfs if you want variety.

pbrack

GO SENS GO!
Oct 8, 2005
Sorry for the confusion, It's a 50 gallon tank. I was thinking of Opalline or pearl with a few dwarfs. But I also want a pair of angelfish for sure. So are gouramis and angelfish ok together?

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
I would not put two male DGs in the same tank unless your LFS is prepared to take one back if they fight. Male DGs absolutely HATE eachother.

This is based on my personal experience and advise from a very knowledgeable LFS guy (my tank is half your size, but my LFS guy said it doesn't matter how big the tank is, with this particular fish, the males will always fight for territory. That was what happened to me.)

Best of luck whatever you try!

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
Well, gosh. What I bought as 'sparkling' gouramis apparently were mis-labeled. They appear to actually be powder blues. From what I just read about the sparkling (pygmy) gourami, I probably lucked out.

Oh, Yeah. Northstar, didn't you mention thet the fish in your avatar was a chocolate dwarf gourami? If so, were did you get it? Are they hard to find? I have a feeling our house may end up filled with gourami tanks!

( What the hell, SportsClix is dead :mad2: so I need someplace to put my time and money!)

Last edited:

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Sorry Kate, but I have to disagree with you. I have 2 male dg in my 30 gallon and they are fine. At first there was a lot of chasing around and a little nipping, but no damage was ever done. NOw they both have there own side of the tank and for the most part leave each other alone, exept for the occasional meeting in the middle where they tail whip each other. Kind of amuzing to watch those guys. I would adpvise adding all that you want to have at the same time though so no one has a chance to clame the whole tank tohimself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store