Dwarf Gourami questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Uh, let me clarify that. 29/30 gallon would be the absolute minimum for 2 males. If you have a 50 I think you could easily do 3 probably 4. Just watch them reall close for the first week. the only problem I see you haveing, is if one gets more stressed than the others during transport. The others will see the weakness and kill him if left alone. Just make sure you get them all at the same time, if you get 3 and try to add a 4th later, he might not make it.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
stingray4540 said:
Sorry Kate, but I have to disagree with you. I have 2 male dg in my 30 gallon and they are fine. At first there was a lot of chasing around and a little nipping, but no damage was ever done. NOw they both have there own side of the tank and for the most part leave each other alone, exept for the occasional meeting in the middle where they tail whip each other. Kind of amuzing to watch those guys. I would adpvise adding all that you want to have at the same time though so no one has a chance to clame the whole tank tohimself.
Sounds like you lucked out, at least for now. They may get along for life but I wouldn't count on it. I had two male dwarves in my 29 gallon and they got along fine for nearly a year. Then all of a sudden, one snapped and started beating on the other one severely. Needless to say, they had to be seperated. Depending on the individual fish it might work out, but have a place to move one of them to in case they need to be seperated.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Huh? I haven't had them for a year yet so I'll have to keep an eye out. They do seem a LOT more docile since I have more fish in there now, maybe that helps. Thanks for letting me know about your experiences, I'll refrain from giving this kind of advise untill I've had them longer than a year. Sorry about your gouramis. Was it the red dwarf and gold honey that you had to seperate?

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
No, the honey gourami and dwarf get along fine. There is a little chasing now and then but nothing major. The other dwarf went into my girlfriend's tank. Your post reminded me that I need to get around to updating my "my tanks" page. A lot has changed since the last time I updated it - more tanks and more fish now!

I don't want to alarm you or anything. Your fish might be ok together for life, but big emphasis on might. Just something to be aware of, and if one starts showing overly aggressive behavior towards the other then that will be a good time to seperate them.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
I'm not worried, they both seem to be equally agressive to each other. I just don't want to advise anyone about something that I might not have enough experience with. You may have just got a mean fish, or my fish aren't as mean, or maybe they will be eventually. Who knows? Time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store