Dwarf Puffer won't eat anything but snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Nope, it doesn't, but I do see how humour could have been intended in your statement. Thanks for giving us all a cooling off period prior to a reply. I accept your apology, now please accept mine for the quick-on-the-draw reaction.

rdmpe

AC Members
May 4, 2003
Central Florida
Visit site
Have you tried the ghost shrimp? My fig 8's love to eat them. They'll eat just about anything though. Once in a while I get a stray crab leg from the supermarket (for free), and cut about a half inch piece off and drop it in the tank. The puffers go after it right away. They are actually not that likely to eat snails. I wish they'd eat more snails, as I'm worried about their teeth.

You could also try a clam. I got a clam from the grocery store, cracked it's shell partially open and my puffers ate most of that clam too. I wanted to make them pick at the shell some, since I'm concerned about their teeth.

mak

AC Members
May 6, 2003
Central Nebraska
Visit site
Thanks for the idea's. I'll try that, I can't get clams in the shell here, I live in central Nebraska, but I should be able to get a frozen crab leg and shrimp.
Someone mentioned earlier gut loading the snails before feeding them to the puffers and I do that, my snails eat as well as the fish do. I wonder if there is'nt something else wrong with him. Several people here seem to think snails should be sufficient so maybe he's just not gaining weight because of something else. A friend on another board says that males tend to be thinner than females and built differently. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with my puffer. Does anyone else have one that seems skinny? :confused:
mak

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Originally posted by ChilDawg
Unfortunately, it seems as though someone replied before I did, and that makes me look foolish.
Its amazing the number of jokes that have come into my head...lol. I dont think you need me to say them!

But in response to the puffer prob, this is like saying 'my neck hurts when I look up' - the simple solution is not to look up. You should be able to make summin of that.

mrk442

AC Members
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Dwarf puffers seem to come loaded with alot of parasites for some reason just my experience i had a few that just never seem to grow while some just grew like weeds even though they all where eating the same.

Just my 0.02
Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store