EARTHQUAKE!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What provisions have you made to keep your fish safe in an earthquake?

• have 'quake proofed my tank(s) - Anchored to wall, stand, cushioned area around tank, specialty tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did something in between these choices

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
We just experienced a moderate earthquake of 4.2. Heard a noise that startled me and then came a single hard jolt and a bit of light rocking. Didn't last but maybe 3-5 seconds. Very short quake. Have lived in so cal off and on all my life, and frequenly, like now, right on or beside a faultline.

Quakes don't usually freak me out, but hubby, who is new to So Cal, totally freaks out. He is a cable guy, and is terrified that one will hit when he is up on a pole.

I am curious how many of you live near faultlines and if you do anything special to secure your tanks in case there is a serious quake?

necigrad

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Here in Vegas they say we're overdue for a good earthquake, like 1000 years overdue. They say we WILL have at least a 6.0 within 20 years. Dunno how they determine that. Actually, I don't even know who "they" are. But the way I figure it, even in a second floor unit, if an earthquake strong enough to cause problems with the tank hits, the fish will be the least of my concerns. Power would be the only thing that might be controlable, but for the length of time that we would be without there's no good solution. Fish aren't portable (at least not practicably) so they take a backseat.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
lived in quake country for 18 years.... never going back. i'll stick with tornadoes and hurricanes, at least you can see and hear those coming.

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
i live in scotland...biggest quake we've had i know of was a 4.0 last year, cant remember any others........apart from the curry and beer the other night!

a friend of mine who is a dentist wondered if the earth moved for women when he got to it..anyways he got lucky one night...when he woke up in the morning the girl said to him "are you a Dentist"...he said "yeah how did you know?"...she said "because I didnt feel a thing".......................

aquaman#1

AC Members
Mar 2, 2007
Georgia
www.freewebs.com
Here in Vegas they say we're overdue for a good earthquake, like 1000 years overdue. They say we WILL have at least a 6.0 within 20 years. Dunno how they determine that. Actually, I don't even know who "they" are. But the way I figure it, even in a second floor unit, if an earthquake strong enough to cause problems with the tank hits, the fish will be the least of my concerns. Power would be the only thing that might be controlable, but for the length of time that we would be without there's no good solution. Fish aren't portable (at least not practicably) so they take a backseat.
Well we had to learn about Earthquakes,in science class,and now school's out,but anyway where the fault is they measure it and say how long it was from one earthquake to the next,and they say every 10 years in the past there like in the Ice age was an earthquake that's why they say you overdue. Also I don't live in Earthquake countyr. I am in Georgia.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
There has been 16 quakes in Minnesota since 1860, the biggest one was a 4.9.. Its fairly low on our list of things to worry about, However it can also be 50 below 0, Good thing theres heaters in the tanks.....:)

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
You have a good point there - I know I've thought about how accessible (NOT) the cat carrier is and what I would do with my cat. Never really thought about the fish, though. I guess we could sit by the tanks and agitate the water to oxygenate it :grinyes: We have alot of money tied up in our little hobby.

However, sometimes we do get quakes here (there are many, many faultlines here in the valley) that are hard enough to break things and to cause usually minor building damage without knocking out power... guess we will have to give this some thought

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store