Eating Habits of Ghost Shrimp (do they include Platy fry?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
I ask because my platy fry tank is looking like a little worker-bee of a ghost shrimp could be useful (if I'm wrong, please let me know!). But I don't know if the ghost shrimp will be aggressive toward the fry, or even eat them!

Help a newb out! :help:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
No. Ghost shrimp will not prey on fry. They would only eat already dead / dying fish.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Well... I people have said that they've seen the ghosts eat fry.
But I'm sure if thats even true, then you'd have to starve them to get them to do that.
They should make a wonderful addition.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
It depends on the species of "ghost shrimp", a generic name applied to dozens of critters, and occaisonally includes juvie prawns that are difficult to tell apart from other species when they're small.
If you happen to get one or more of those, or know what to look for and pick them out, they will not only eat platy fry, but will eventually eat the adults as well.
There are also a few species of smaller "ghost shrimp" that are quite capable of snatching small fish if they have the opportunity.

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
i'm pretty sure they're ghost shrimp! i have some floating plants for the fry; i also wondered how nocternal the ghost shrimp are. They're quite fast when they want to be, and I *do* worry about the frys' ability to outswim them should they get hungry. My platy had six today (!), and they're still in the "birthing box" in the 20 gal; I have two in the fry tank that are 3 weeks old, and one that is 2 months--those, I think can stay out of the way. It's the newborns I worry about...

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
i'm pretty sure they're ghost shrimp! i have some floating plants for the fry; i also wondered how nocternal the ghost shrimp are. They're quite fast when they want to be, and I *do* worry about the frys' ability to outswim them should they get hungry. My platy had six today (!), and they're still in the "birthing box" in the 20 gal; I have two in the fry tank that are 3 weeks old, and one that is 2 months--those, I think can stay out of the way. It's the newborns I worry about...

Just make sure they have enough food, don't starve them and they'll be good

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
That's a good question! I asked that when I bought them, and the sales person didn't know...I thought to break a piece off a sinking pellet and drop that in. Any other suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store