Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's worthless?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gaines

Ruler of the Blue Lagoon
May 14, 2006
Nashville, TN
Yoemen said:
just found out one of my LFS' the one that is close gets a shipment once a month or so of them and sells them for $16. Now I just need to figure out if I can keep a regular and a blue jack in a 55. Probably not but will see.
Your LFS sells EBJDs for $16 each? That's awesome. Seems $30 is the norm unless you're ordering online and usually shipping makes it at least that much unless you're buying a ton.

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
hmm

there is another one in south houston that sells 2.5 inch ones for $20.

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
Tiger15 said:
EBJD, like blood parrot, is not hybrid but mutants with recessive genes.
Actually, I believe the blood parrot is a hybrid (man-mad cross-bred using the Midas Cichlid, Redhead Cichlid, or Severum with the Red Devil.

cjr4497 said:
lets see some pics. my jack is blue but i don't know if he is the electric blue:
Awesome dempsey!!

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
My EBJD with his fry

I know I have this pict in the other thread but I felt it worked in both topics. Sorry for the spam.

Here are new picts these are maybe 3 inches now.
These are the ones from Rapps

Last edited:

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Glad you dug up this thread sparkymach, so I can chime in. Big welcome to AC!!

First time I tried pacific blue dempseys, I bought a single 1" fish for $20. I had it for oh, 3 months I think. At first it would only take live worms which I didn't like, but at least he was growing well on them. I moved him to my 29g once he was large enough, with some harlequin rasboras, angelicus loaches, marbled angelfish, and a GN plec I believe.

The dempsey was doing fine and growing well, then just started hiding, stopped eating, and died.

When I first got him:

Grown out some:

This was taken only a week or so before he died before odd behavior:

I wasn't going to give up that easily though. I went back when a different shipment arrived (a few months later) and bought two.

These were small. Appx. .5" and I decided to put them straight into the 29g instead of growing them out somewhat in the 6g.

To my surprise, right after I introduced them, I offered flake and bloodworms, which they took eagerly. They grew fast:

They started showing differences between the two. After moving them to the 180g which at the time had some oscars, clown loaches (still have them), bala sharks, angel fish, etc... they did okay for a while, but this one died:

And this one is still alive today:

Most recent shot of it:

The one that has survived, has survived two feeder fish/worm induced cases of ich, as well as the treatment periods.

He's not shy, though he does spook easily. But as long as I'm not jumping around my tank, he does swim up the the front when I'm feeding and follows my fingers somewhat, and gets in the way when I'm trying to take pictures.

I agree with earlier posts that the recessive gene is definitely linked with some other trait that causes fragility.

Just because you've had no luck with a fragile fish is no reason to call it worthless IMO. I've struggled with GN's, and finally had one that was eating well and doing great, which died in a recent move :mad2: .

One last note: blue dempseys look like crap under yellow spectrum lighting (i.e. 6700k). Use bulbs higher in blue light (10k, or if you have a planted tank with 6700k, use an actinic bulb), which will make your dempseys look gorgeous! Mine looks like crap under 6700k right now, so I will add an actinic light to do it more justice.

Last edited:

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
Most people don't know that the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey is a Hybrid--that's how breeders get that great color.
DNA testing was done a handful of years ago on EBJD. They are NOT hybrids. they are true octofasciatum. It is a recessive gene.

What is more important. Is where are you getting them from.

here is the breeder of the blue dempsey's tank:

The only lights are the flash from Mo's camera. There are no lights on these tanks and the hatchery only has Fl. Shop lights scattered throughout.

Last edited:

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
Glad this thread was dragged back up aswell.
I still have my 1st EBJD. The father of my Blue Gened Jack Dempseys. Out of the 7 EBJDs I brought from Rapps about a year back there are only 2 left.

I'm not very happy with these fish. However, they do fetch a nice price. As far as me recomending these fish to any one I would say stay clear. I'm just angry right now because I lost one last week. He was at a mature size and they take so long to grow. So yes, strange this thread was brought back because I started it when I was angry last time.

Real Maximus

Registered Member
Feb 26, 2007
Hi I am brand new to this forum today. Greetings :)

I have been keeping fish for well over a decade and consider myself a very seasoned fish hobbyist. Last year I purchased 4 EBJD and added them to my spawn of smaller regular baby jacks. The EBJD were nearly twice the size of the regular jacks, just to be safe. One by one they each died in the same fashion as described in this forum. They were BEAUTIFUL, EXPENSIVE and they acted just like my other jacks. They were about 2.5" - 3" long. I got one male up to about 4" before he died. Eventually, each of these would sit in one spot hiding, never eating, going pale and then just die. I believe there is some type of internal disorder with this fish. I was SO heartbroken to lose these beautiful specimens as well as my $120.00! My friends purchased 2 at the same time and had the EXACT same experince. We lost 6 of these fish inside of 6 months time. We will NEVER purchase these fish again, something just isn't right, "natural" about them. We will stick with our standard green/blue jacks, that are also very beautiful and HARDY! Btw, I didn't lose any of my regular jacks that were smaller and in the same tank. BEWARE.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store