Elephant Nose Care/ How Do I Keep My Elephant Nose Fish Happy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The guy at the pet store said that it's a great kit because it can last for over 750 tests. Hmmm maybe he just sold it to me to make some money. It cost $35.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The guy at the pet store said that it's a great kit because it can last for over 750 tests. Hmmm maybe he just sold it to me to make some money. It cost $35.
But this is a test kit you're talking about. I'm referring to the bottle which you mentioned is "rich in bacteria that can break down ammonia, nitrites and nitrates".

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
OHhhhhh... my bad. It's a tropical science Nitromax. For freshwater. And thanks! I'll need some luck. Hopefully, I get a 120 gallon fish tank within the next two weeks. My dad wants to buy this one that looks really nice.

Last edited:

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
I hope he doesn't expect me to pay him back for the whole thing though, because it costs a whopping $2000. Very expensive.

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
I'm using it to treat a small nip mark on my angelfish's dorsal fin. I researched it and supposedly it's safe with scaleless fish but I just want to make sure.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Read the bottle first and see what it treats. I don't have my melafix availible but I'm pretty sure it doesn't treat wounds.

You shouldn't add meds for small wounds. Clean water is your best bet there. 1 of my female bettas had a very light scare across her cheek, and it's healing nicely. No meds here.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Read the bottle first and see what it treats. I don't have my melafix availible but I'm pretty sure it doesn't treat wounds.

You shouldn't add meds for small wounds. Clean water is your best bet there. 1 of my female bettas had a very light scare across her cheek, and it's healing nicely. No meds here.
Ditto. Half-dose for scaleless fish IMO. Clean water > Melafix. just do small partial daily water changes by about 20%. That's it.

As for the bottle of "bacteria", I don't think it will eliminate nitrates which is the final product in nitrogen cycle. I researched your bottle and the supposed bacteria in it does not eliminate nitrates.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
At this point you really need to be doing daily water changes to keep those fish alive. As you have mentioned your tank is grossly overstocked and not fully cycled. The only thing that will keep these fish alive inthe short term (and help them avoid permanent damage to gills etc..) is freshwater. A 10 gallon tank is easy enough to change at least 2 gallons a day in. Match the temp roughly and add dechlor, the only thing you really need to add at this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store