Elephant Nose Care/ How Do I Keep My Elephant Nose Fish Happy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I can find a bottle of it that eliminates nitrates, although I'm sure it'd be better to just let the tank cycle. Thanks for all your help! I'm getting a larger tank with the week. Cya around!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Make sure the new tank is cycled. Don't just throw the tank together and add the fish. Chemicals that eliminate ammonia will not cycle your tank.

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
I'll add one of my semi-aggressive fish and one of my dwarf gouramis to the tank, and maybe one of my other, larger fish that is hardy. That way I'll free up space in the tank and I'll be able to cycle my larger tank. Thanks for the advice!
-John

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You already have a semi cycled tiny tank. There would be no reason to keep your fish crammed in it when a bigger tank is available. More water will mean more dilution of the waste. Also you can just add the gravel and filter media from your current setup. While not fully cycled it will contain some good bacteria that will help to populate the larger tank.

gabbygirl

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
EN fish are compatible with any slower moving community tank fish. EN can actually be sometimes territorial of their caves or aggressive when it comes to food but they can't do much damage. I have had my EN fish for almost 2 1/2 years now and he is doing great at about 9-10 inches. I provide him with two caves and he also likes to hide in this one piece of driftwood I have. They like shadowy planted aquariums with REAL PLANTS...you either have real plants or no plants. I feed him/her frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp that have been melted and drained so as not to release extra phosphates. I have 55g planted aquarium..his/her tank mates include:
9 rummy nose tetra
5 mini yellow rainbows
3 boesmani rainbows
bristlenose pleco
ottos
amano shrimp & skunk shrimp
zebra snails
SAE
red tailed black shark :)
2 Pea Puffer fish

This is an amazing fish. Remember they are scaleless fish so every change you do cannot be too drastic. Use organic medications if you have to when it comes to ich but try just raising the temperature at first. They don't like a lot of salinity. He/she will be shy of your hand at first but soon he will start eating straight from your fingertips. It took me about 3 1/2 months so be patient.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
EN fish are compatible with any slower moving community tank fish. EN can actually be sometimes territorial of their caves or aggressive when it comes to food but they can't do much damage. I have had my EN fish for almost 2 1/2 years now and he is doing great at about 9-10 inches. I provide him with two caves and he also likes to hide in this one piece of driftwood I have. They like shadowy planted aquariums with REAL PLANTS...you either have real plants or no plants. I feed him/her frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp that have been melted and drained so as not to release extra phosphates. I have 55g planted aquarium..his/her tank mates include:
9 rummy nose tetra
5 mini yellow rainbows
3 boesmani rainbows
bristlenose pleco
ottos
amano shrimp & skunk shrimp
zebra snails
SAE
red tailed black shark :)
2 Pea Puffer fish

This is an amazing fish. Remember they are scaleless fish so every change you do cannot be too drastic. Use organic medications if you have to when it comes to ich but try just raising the temperature at first. They don't like a lot of salinity. He/she will be shy of your hand at first but soon he will start eating straight from your fingertips. It took me about 3 1/2 months so be patient.
I think this thread is as old as your EN.
Wondering if you know of any organic Ich meds which worked well for you as I havent found any that I can really depend on? I did use Clout by Aq products at lower dosage with great results & w/o issues (used on many newly arrived batches of EN), provided water conditions are w/in reason.

gabbygirl

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
I use Ich Attack 100% organic for fresh and saltwater fish...it's manufactured by Kordon but I think the actual company name is AquaHerbals.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Really? Ich Attack??? Althogh Kordon has many dependable/reputable products, This particualr product never gain my confidence. Just my opinion as I also have made and tried similar homemade remedy to some success in controlling parasites but not as a treament.

gabbygirl

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
It got rid of my problem...of course I never had a huge ich issue. It was more on my other fish and my EN was showing some side effects. But he/she never got that bad. I also have a planted tank and I just wanted to use the least amount of unnatural additives as possible. To reduce stress I add about a quarter dose of salt for a 55g. These fish are really sensitive to salinity but surprisingly not as much to pH fluctuations. Just make sure your tank temperature always stays around the same or you'll have huge problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store