Etiquette Question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
So, I know that the majority of things I've read say that it is "not good" to print the names and addresses on a wedding invitation. They say handwriting is best (and I see why, of course). However, I thought it may be nice to coordinate the fonts with the rest of the invitations, especially since the return envelopes are printed. Plus, it would alleviate slips of the hand and my handwriting. If you were to recieve a formal invitation with a printed address and return address would you notice or think "wow, that's such a faux pas?" I guess I know what I should do...but is this rule still adhered to?

The books say one thing, but you are all real people:p

flyingfish

time to play!
Dec 26, 2004
I wouldn't give it a second thought if I recieved an invitation that wasn't hand addressed, then again I designed my own on the computer 11 years ago and every part was printed from my computer. You might consider whether the people you are inviting are "old school" or not. Are they generally easy going, or do you have 4 aunt gertrudes and a grandma rose that will declare how rude you were for not spending that extra time on their invitations. Most people, I think, are just glad to be invited to such an exciting event. Most of all, do what you know you won't regret later. After all, you only have to do it once. :D

Apr 21, 2005
Invercargill, New Zealand
Wow.. a wedding related topic on a fish forum!!

Anyway to answer your question, I think printing the names is fine.. although all the weddings I've been to they've all had handwritten invitations, but thats ok for them because they have nice handwritting. I plan to have mine printed because my handwriting is terrible. And I'd probably stuff up that many times that I'd need to get twice as many invites as needed. I don't think people are going to mind, they are just going to be stoked that they received an invite.

Anything goes these days when it comes to weddings.

When are you getting married Leopardess??

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I never really noticed wether the invitations I received were hand written or not. I do know a couple people who are into that caligraphy (sp?) writing. Maybe you can hire somebody to do it for you. Beautiful writing, and you don't have to do it. You can please everybody. Of course, there is money involved, unless you know somebody who does it and will do you a favor.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! :)

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I honestly wouldn't care either way with regards to printed vs handwritten. I vote for whatever is easiest for you; you've got enough stuff going on right now aside from invitation text, I'm sure.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I had printed invitations for my wedding, we just chose a font that fit with the fact that it was held in a replica of a church from 1860. The original church was the one the Seventh Day Adventists chose the name in and the replica is in the historic advent village in Battle Creek MI.

My wife and I did as little planning for our wedding as we could possibly get away with. Simple and focused on the reason for the day not all the fancy things you can make it.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Okay, I'm glad I haven't gotten any "Gasp..how dare you"s yet. I am probably going to just print them. It will look nicer and be easier. I'll make up for it by handwriting the place cards:)

The wedding is July 16th, Southern.

Snake - these are printed invitations. I'm referring to the outer envelopes and their addresses.

As a sort of aside, the reason you're getting married is naturally important to remember lol. We try to focus on that everyday, so we don't mind sharing our attention with a few details. Plus, neither my parents nor his parents (both were married young, around 18), or any other family members, have ever gotten to have a wedding that was like a big party and both sets of their parents totally dominated everything. My mother literally chose nothing for her wedding. Many of the details we're including are so they can live vicariously through us and there will be a big wedding for everyone in the family to attend:) And sadly, my side of the family usually only gets together when someone dies and everyone always says "too bad we can't meet at a happy event!"

Everyone is helping out, too, so that's nice.

Last edited:

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I don't think it's a problem to print the addresses on the envelope, especially if you choose a nice font. I'd suggest, though, not using address labels (I think it makes it look like the addresses were just quickly stuck on). Either try to print directly on the envelope or at the very least, use a transparent label.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Who cares? The point of the letter is to tell you your invited, not tell you how much spare time the writer has to do everything by hand.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
That is good to hear, I've seen some people get so involved with planning and getting things lined up they don't have time for family and relaxing. sounds like you have willing helpers that won't run over what you desire for the day.

There were a couple people at ours that tried to tell us what we wanted. That didn't go over to well.

Anyway well wishes. :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store