Etiquette Question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Well Kas when you get married you can do it all your own way.

As for who cares... I'm sorry, I guess I do. I know some people really think sticking to tradition has sentimental, nostalgic importance and I was curious if this is still something people do. For instance, they still include tissue paper in printed invitations. Ink doesn't smudge anymore but people still do it. The "standard" is to be handwritten, it's not as if I'm trying to show off my free time by doing it. I'm sorry, I just care about my wedding and the effort I'm putting into it to make sure people feel cared about, to make it memorable, and to let them all know we value them. A traditional wedding has a certain amount of decorum to it, I'm just trying to follow the acceptable guidelines.

:(

Mishi - Thank you. Yes, I would print directly on the envelope. A friend from another forum helped to show me how I could download the same font the stationer used so I would use that to print the envelopes out of the printer:)

Last edited:

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
I wouldn't think twice about whether the envelope was hand written or printed.... I don't think any "normal" person would comment on it. :)

Now, on the other hand, I once received a wedding invitation that was SO cheesy, it was bordering on rude. This former roommate has a brother who is a professional baseball player, and she had a NICE wedding with his help... Her invitation, I kid you not, was a fold-open cardstock thing with a DETACHABLE reply postcard!! Like a piece of junk mail that you get to subscribe to a magazine! Complete with the little circular sticker that sealed the thing closed! Tear the sticker in half, fold open twice, read the invite, and if you wanna come, fold and tear at the perforation and mail back your reply card! Where does a person even FIND such a thing! I am not a snob... If she were flat broke and doing the best she could, I wouldn't have thought twice about it... but when you have your millionaire brother forking over big cash for your wedding, and you're registered for cappuccino machines at Pottery Barn, THIS was the best you could come up with for invitations?!?

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
LOL Aknif. Maybe (let's hope?) she ordered them without looking at them? Or maybe she just has poor taste hehe. I know the kind you mean. The ones I've seen where flimsy like regular computer paper - they weren't horrible though. Just not my taste. Now, for a small informal wedding those could work just fine and dandy, but like you said, if she's registered for cappuccino machines (wow) then that's a little odd. It seems a little mean (for lack of a better word) to ask for such extravagent things if you're cutting so many little costs.

Alrighty, consensus seems to indicate all systems go on printing. I'll have to tell his mother. She's an old-timer New England-ite....if anyone knows anyone like this, you'll understand why she thought it may be "horrific" to print them. :p

Last edited:

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I think that printing the addresses and return addresses on the envelopes and the return ones is ok..what you might do to "make up" for it is hand address the interior envelopes with the invitations themselves..if you have them.
For example with type on the exterior envelope you would address to
Mr and Mrs John Doe
but the interior envelope you would handwrite the familiar name...ie: John and Jane, Uncle John and Aunt Jane, etc.
Check out the Miss Manners books...she's great to read.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Nursie that's exactly what I was planning on. To handwrite the inner envelopes, except I've heard/read you have the choice of improper names (Aunt June, for instance) or can write Ms. Smith. But the outer envelope would read Miss June Smith. This will be a fairly formal event, so I think I'm going to use the title of the person sans first name inside. And if any kids are invited, their name goes on the inner envelope. The knot (www.theknot.com) is a great site for etiquette and advice, too:) I've used it a lot. They've even got some nice cake and bouquet galleries:) Basically, I'm following this:

http://www.theknot.com/ch_article.h...3600&keywordID=152&keywordType=2&parentID=527

Last edited:

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
The last time I was involved in any wedding planning was before all the internet resources there are now!
The other thing I've seen is to have help with the hand addressing.

I know I would be looking at doing what you are doing if it were me. I do Christmas cards and other announcements that way already. I have an address database that I tweak to suit the need at the time. I can't write more that a paragraph without my hand hurting. Thank goodness for computers!

mrakins

AC Members
Apr 15, 2005
Southington, CT
IMO and IME, the most important thing to throwing a successful party (which is what the reception is, really) is maintaining a consistent feeling throughout the whole thing. And, this is a big party you're throwing, so the magnifying glasses (some real but mostly imagined) will be out scrutinizing the details. I'd imagine that you could find a font that would be consistent with the formal feel of the rest of your wedding. I'd definitely steer clear of printing on address labels--they'll deviate too far from the feel of the rest of the wedding. A small deviation (a printed, appropriate font) will likely go unnoticed--which is what you want.

It sounds like you will--but enjoy your wedding! It really should be just about the most fun you'll ever have.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Thank you mrakins:) I definitely would not use address labels...in fact the thought hadn't even crossed my mind until it was mentioned here. Like I said, a friend from another forum gave me a copy of the exact font the invitations (and respond cards/envelopes/thank you cards/etc) were printed in and I intend to print on the actual envelope surface. So it should indeed all match:)

Funny though...about the address labels. We bought some clear ones printed with a quote rather than an address, and we're going to place those on our favors (which are 4" terra cotta pots painted lavendar with a ribbon and filled with flowering impatiens which my mom's growing in her greenhouse). I thought that was a pretty neat idea. :)

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
What a neat idea for a favor!!
One of the cousin's kids got married and they hand made tealight candles and tied with a ribbon. It was also unique.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store