Euthanizing Anabantoidei - Betta Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Minnesota Fats

AC Members
Nov 5, 2005
This sounds horrible, but when I had to euthanize one of my danios (he got tore up by something pretty bad), I filled the sink with water, put him in, pulled the drain plug, and flipped on the garbage disposer. It sounds pretty horrific, but it did the trick and there is no chance he is going to survive for a while and suffer. I suppose a blender would work as well.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
TommyR said:
She is right, mix the clove oil WELL with some tank water, it works very well. I've had to do it several times in the past year. The fish goes to sleep within 10-30 seconds. I then place it in the freezer until solid.
Have the betta fish you've euthanized also gone to sleep in 10-30 seconds?

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
rebecca2 said:
I don't know why some sources say to dissolve the clove oil in alcohol as this isn't necessary in my experience (plus, alcohol doesn't, um, last long around this house...)
Presumably because oil and water don't mix well and you want a solution that is thoroughly mixed. Oil and water separates quickly. The alcohol breaks down the oil so that it freely mixes with the water.

I put the necessary amount of clove oil in a jar with some water and just shake it up. It turns cloudy. Then I pour that into the bucket or whatever I have the euthanizees in.
What type of fish are you referring to? Have you tried this with betta or other labyrinth fish?

Roan

SquirrelOsO

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
pennsylvania
just flush it
your probably going through more pain than the fish agonizing over it
ive never heard of euthanizing a fish lol sorry, its not a dog or a cat its a fish!
flush it, wipe yer hands and go watch tv...sheesh

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I know... it must be impossible to be cruel to a fish... (a living being you took into your care). Why not disect it alive too? It's not a dog after all...

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I've never had to euthanize, and hope I've never will, but I read that along with the freezer way, the quickest way is put the fish in a glass, then drop an Alka-Scelzer tablet inside it.

Don't know if it works, but it sounds like it'd be quick.

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Roan Art said:
Have the betta fish you've euthanized also gone to sleep in 10-30 seconds?

Roan

I only did one betta and yes it did.

Tom

SquirrelOsO

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
pennsylvania
alka selzer lol
tell me that wouldnt hurt!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com